News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1969 C6 SCJ output shaft speedometer drive gear

Started by KR500, June 01, 2022, 01:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KR500

I am working on a 69 Mach1 SCJ C6 car ( W code 4.30:1 ). Car has inaccurate speedometer and bouncing indicator needle. The car has been converted to a 3.50:1 gear, and not using the gear reducer. I got the correct driven gear for the 3.50's and tire size. Same problem. I pulled the cable and gear out and using my finger I was able to spin the drive gear easily. Is something different with a SCJ C6 output shaft? I though all C6's had the drive gear machined on the output shaft? I did not see anything listed different in the MPC. It acts like a toploader with a broken dive gear retainer. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Rodney
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

Corey Bowcutt

Rodney,

I can not really address much of your question because I have no experience with big blocks or auto transmissions but I thought I would just share my experience with a bouncing speedometer.  I had that in my 68 GT350.  I tried lubricating the cable to no avail.  So I ultimately just bought a new speedometer cable and the problem went away.

I think I also remember that manual and auto transmissions have gears that spin in opposite directions but again I am out of my league here.

Corey