Author Topic: 1968 Shelby Green Hornet  (Read 7443 times)

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
1968 Shelby Green Hornet
« on: May 25, 2018, 01:40:47 PM »
Is it possible that they made more than one 1968 Shelby GT500EXP?  One just recently ran across the auction block, but was a ‘No Sale’.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: 1968 Shelby Green Hornet
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 02:30:22 PM »
Is it possible that they made more than one 1968 Shelby GT500EXP?  One just recently ran across the auction block, but was a ‘No Sale’.
People have made tribute ,clones, etc of the one Green Hornet for decades.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 03:29:45 PM »
Ah ...no. All the serial numbers are known. The Green Hornet is currently undergoing a restoration. I,
I’m told it will be more historically accurate.

Now, it is possible one of the other known cars may have carried that designation. But, I can tell you it has not been up for auction.

Mr Gaines has the best conclusion...

It is a afterthought

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 05:14:43 PM »
I've been speaking with a very nice gentleman who believes that there were more than one made at the same time, and of course he has one.   A very hard thing to prove, but there are some very interesting details about the car that could make you question it.  Still, our '68 registrar would certainly have some information about that if it were true, right?
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover

gt350cs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 05:37:17 PM »
Well, it's like when anyone asks me about how many Shelbys were made and are still around, I always give the same answer there are more today than were ever produced.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 06:14:52 PM »
Yes the Registrar would know.

We havent said it lately, but extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

If he wants to prove it, I suggest starting with a Marti report. I would love to know more details.

Surprisingly, It’s really not hard to prove. There are engineering inventories with lists of serial numbers. So, you cant really just say you have one, without paperwork. The engineers that built the special cars had to track them.

I’m quite certain he will not have that documentation.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 06:33:31 PM by Coralsnake »

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 08:50:04 PM »
Is it posibbly the black coupe? Shelby had that car built for charity much later. It was long after the vintage cars were done.

It should be considered a continuation car.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 08:53:54 PM by Coralsnake »

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 08:58:35 PM »
Is it posibbly the black coupe? Shelby had that car built for charity much later. It was long after the vintage cars were done.

It should be considered a continuation car.

The black coupe?  I can sense a teaching moment is in order.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 09:04:40 PM »
Aka, the “Black Hornet”. It was built in 2002 as a tribute to the 1968 Green Hornet.

A lame attempt to capitalize on the past. I have seen some indications more than one may have been built.

Shelby didnt miss an opportunity to make a nickel

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 10:20:25 AM »
I know that both Shelby American and Ford recycled parts on their cars rather have to make them up from scratch whenever possible.  So can anyone tell me where they got the parts for the independent rear suspension on the original Green Hornet?  There's a pretty nice article here about the proposed use of an IRS on all Mustangs and then on the '65 GT350R's:

http://performance.ford.com/enthusiasts/newsroom/2016/03/the-inside-story-of-how-an-irs-made-for-mustang-won-le-mans.html

It never got utilized of course, but it did make it onto the GT40 efforts in '67.  Were all these made by Holman Moody as a limited run or something?  The car I was looking at that is claimed to be another 'found' GT500EXP had a portion of an IRS in boxes in the trunk.

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover

shelbyhertz66

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2018, 10:38:02 AM »
I would suppose the next logical step would be tributes of tributes, clones of clones and replicas of replicas

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2018, 10:41:43 AM »
I dont think the source of the original IRS is known.

I might suggest you have this fine gentleman contact the people currently restring the Green Hornet.

I am very suspect, until he comes around with a lot more information.

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2018, 11:06:28 AM »
I dont think the source of the original IRS is known.

I might suggest you have this fine gentleman contact the people currently restring the Green Hornet.

I am very suspect, until he comes around with a lot more information.

Pete, I totally understand, and I'm very suspect too.  But it is interesting to pursue this.  I've already learned so much more about the EXP than I ever knew before.  Thanks!
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2018, 02:56:33 PM »
I know that both Shelby American and Ford recycled parts on their cars rather have to make them up from scratch whenever possible.  So can anyone tell me where they got the parts for the independent rear suspension on the original Green Hornet?  There's a pretty nice article here about the proposed use of an IRS on all Mustangs and then on the '65 GT350R's:

http://performance.ford.com/enthusiasts/newsroom/2016/03/the-inside-story-of-how-an-irs-made-for-mustang-won-le-mans.html

It never got utilized of course, but it did make it onto the GT40 efforts in '67.  Were all these made by Holman Moody as a limited run or something?  The car I was looking at that is claimed to be another 'found' GT500EXP had a portion of an IRS in boxes in the trunk.
I believe the first time around when the Green Hornet was restored that the IRS was MIA  ;) . The restorer said he used parts taken from the IRS of a Thunderbird and made them work. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

KerryBWhite

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2018, 03:01:02 PM »
Not to high-jack the thread but are there any updates, photos, info,etc on the restoration of the Green Hornet?
Would love to see some in-progress photos etc. Who is doing the resto?  :)