Author Topic: Interior Door Panel Restoration  (Read 3464 times)

nightmist67

• View Profile
Interior Door Panel Restoration
« on: May 25, 2018, 03:42:28 PM »
Is there anyone who offers restoration of original interior door panels, including the heavy card material through which the attachment clips are inserted?

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: Interior Door Panel Restoration
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 03:53:37 PM »
Are you speaking of the 1969s?

nightmist67

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 04:21:55 PM »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 06:32:20 PM »
Is there anyone who offers restoration of original interior door panels, including the heavy card material through which the attachment clips are inserted?
Where there is a will there is a way however typically once the backing material for the clips is broken that they are not worth fixing especially if you have to re cover the outside . I don't know of anyone who presently repairs the backing to as good as new condition.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 08:59:26 AM »
  The backing, which seems to be a derivative of Masonite, does tear out.  I have had success using 2 X 2 inch squares of fiberglass matt (the woven stlyle) and glassed the clips to the back of the panel.  The main issue there is you need to work one at a time, quickly as the resin dries, and, you must align the clip to where the hole in the door is - unless you plan on drilingl in a new hole.
   The face side, from my experience is a crap shoot.  I have seen some at swap meets done, and seems the sellers can not rember by who.  Hopefully somebody will post a "who"about them.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 11:32:58 AM »
I have used these guys before. They are very good.

http://www.justdashes.com/services/

johnzajc@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 07:25:09 PM »
I had mine restored by DASHES ONLY---they will restored foam, recover with same liner material Ford used, they will match the color of original, you need to send them photos of condition they are in and they will give you the price. good luck---

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 11:56:24 PM »
I had mine restored by DASHES ONLY--they will restored foam, recover with same liner material Ford used, they will match the color of original, you need to send them photos of condition they are in and they will give you the price. good luck---

Are we talking about the same place?

I have used these guys before. They are very good.

http://www.justdashes.com/services/

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 12:03:49 AM »
I haven't seen any that match the factory vinyl grain.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby