News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Identifying 67 valve covers

Started by tater_51, June 06, 2022, 08:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tater_51

I have a pair of covers off a 67 I purchased a long time ago.  Not sure if they are original or reproduction.  They are not "Buddy bar".  I've included a couple photos.  The oil baffles have also been removed.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: tater_51 on June 06, 2022, 08:23:35 PM
I have a pair of covers off a 67 I purchased a long time ago.  Not sure if they are original or reproduction.  They are not "Buddy bar".  I've included a couple photos.  The oil baffles have also been removed.
The 67 GT350 did not use open letter valve covers like the picture. 67's used the closed letter valve cover. For a 65 or earlier 66 where they were used the buddy bar valve covers the identification missing is a easy tell that they are reproduction. The repro valve covers have been available for decades.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

tater_51

Thanks, that's what I had thought, just didn't want to misrepresent them.

WT6066-2600

Same question as the original poster, are these 67? closed letter valve original or repros?

Anyone have a sketch or a drawing to use in making the missing baffle plates?
thanks

Bob Gaines

Quote from: WT6066-2600 on June 07, 2022, 08:43:54 PM
Same question as the original poster, are these 67? closed letter valve original or repros?

Anyone have a sketch or a drawing to use in making the missing baffle plates?
thanks
Those look genuine but would hate to say 100 percent unless holding in my hands. Those appear to be the type used on mid 66 to 70 Shelby production. Of course they were black wrinkle paint finished when new.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

WT6066-2600

Thanks,  Any thoughts on replicating baffle plates?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: WT6066-2600 on June 07, 2022, 09:34:47 PM
Thanks,  Any thoughts on replicating baffle plates?
Not much to them. A flat rectangler piece of  thin sheet metal secured with the preferred screws instead of factory rivets but held at the same points . Once installed it is not like anyone will know what they look like.

WT6066-2600

JD

If you can might try and change the heading of the listing to -

Identifying '65/'66 Open Letter Valve Covers
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0