Author Topic: 65 Pitman and Idler arms on Ebay.  (Read 6516 times)

texas swede

• View Profile
65 Pitman and Idler arms on Ebay.
« on: June 07, 2022, 11:31:44 AM »
Hi guys,
Currently there are two auctions on Ebay for 65/66 Pitman and Idler arms. These are presented as being assembly line
parts and priced accordingly. I have checked these out and believe they are very early reproductions.
In fact, I used to own an idler arm just like it. Bought it from a vendor's catalog. Many years ago, I found a NOS
in the Ford box and the markings match the one on my original Pitman arm. Later on, I found another original Pitman arm
which I have as a spare.
I wrote to the seller but got no answer.
Texas Swede

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: 65 Pitman and Idler arms on Ebay.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 12:53:08 PM »
You may want to put a link to the auctions so others can know which ones you are concerned about.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

texas swede

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 02:04:33 PM »
Hi Bob,
Just search on NOS 65/66 Pitman and Idler arms respectively,
Texas Swede

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 03:24:38 PM »
Looks like the items are being sold by http://www.allclassicmustang.com/contactallclassicmotors.html of North Dakota.  Anyone familiar with this business? 8)

68blk500c

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2022, 03:28:28 PM »
JD Larson has been in business a long time.

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2022, 04:23:10 PM »
I think these are the auctions Bo is referring to, the seller is JD Larson...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294137737481

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294126089864

I've also wondered about these as well, are they repops or perhaps later Ford service parts? They do have the correct XRR casting numbers and a Ford logo. OE arms have the XRR numbers in different locations and have a FoMoCo logo, either oval (early) or rectangular (later). At least as late as the mid 1990's you could get the arms shown in the auctions from Branda and others.

Dave
Dave - 6S1757

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2022, 09:26:09 PM »
Are you certain any of the repros had the Ford trademark ?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 10:17:16 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

texas swede

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2022, 11:57:11 PM »
If I don't recall wrong, the oval logo on the early repos had Ford instead of FoMoCo within.
As Dave said they were placed on a different side and the logo closer to the middle than the originals.
Before I found an NOS Idler Arm, I did a lot of research into this matter and Howard was nice to crawl under both his cars and take pictures.
Texas Swede

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2022, 01:42:40 AM »
Are you certain any of the repros had the Ford trademark ?

Not at all, that's why I'm hoping to get clarification. I've always assumed the arms Bo mentions, like those listed in the ebay auctions above, were repops. But since they do have the correct XRR engineering numbers and do have a Ford logo, is it possible they are legit Ford service parts?
Dave - 6S1757

texas swede

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2022, 08:40:00 AM »
Dave,
I bought a repo Idler arm around 1989-90 and used it until I found the NOS. Because of the lack of right to use
the FoMoCo the manufacturer, who's name I have forgot they had to put Ford within the oval instead.
The seal should be a C4ZA-3A196-A on an original. There is a picture on the Ebay showing the latter part of the number
but the C4 is not showing. The number on the repo I bought had a D7 or something but the rest of the numbers matched.
Sending some pictures of the NOS. I will try to find the name of the repo manufacturer.
Texas Swede

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2022, 01:52:03 PM »
Hi Bo,

Thanks for the info and photos, I also bought one with a Ford trademark from Branda in 1995 (found the receipt), but have also seen those listed for sale as NOS. Don't think any of the current repops have it.

On your NOS photo....does the oval trademark logo say Ford or FoMoCo inside?

Thanks,
Dave
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 12:01:42 PM by s2ms »
Dave - 6S1757

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2022, 06:17:24 PM »
Food for thought Tony Branda frequently ended up with genuine overstock parts that he sold. I am not saying that is what you bought but just because it came from Branda doesn’t automatically mean it is reproduction. Also Tony RIP didn’t always know the difference between assemblyline and replacement. It was seldom that a parts MFG would risk litigation for bootlegging a Ford part. This was before Fords licensing of reproduction replacement part . All of the idler and pitman arm I have ever seen or heard of were not marked with anything looking like what was on assemblyline but that is just me.

texas swede

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2022, 11:08:56 AM »
Dave,
Both the NOS Idler arm and original Pitman arm have a FoMoCo within the oval. One thing that differs with the repo is the
originals have much less distinctive markings. like the XRR than the repos. Checked the pictures I got from Howard many years ago and the original on his car #350 matches exactly with the ones I have.
Texas Swede

Rickmustang

• SAAC Member
  • "What's behind you, doesn't matter"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2022, 01:07:47 PM »
My NOS pieces are same as Bo’s.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2022, 03:43:08 PM »
Dave,
Both the NOS Idler arm and original Pitman arm have a FoMoCo within the oval. One thing that differs with the repo is the
originals have much less distinctive markings. like the XRR than the repos. Checked the pictures I got from Howard many years ago and the original on his car #350 matches exactly with the ones I have.
Texas Swede

We had a thread on this on forum 1.0 from memory. I’ll try find pics I saved but I remember that Bo
6S373
6S1276