News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

SEMA White Paper - Mounting Radial Tires on Classic Vehicle Rims

Started by 69 GT350 Vert, May 26, 2018, 03:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

It is very interesting. I personally have heard no horror stories.

Jim Cowles was saying something about this a couple of years ago with mounting radials on the 14" Shelby 10 spoke wheels.

I remember there was a discussion about it as a result but I don't remember if there were any significant revelations discovered about it?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Shelby_r_b

Nothing beats a classic!

JJH

So I better hope they start reproducing Goodyear Blue Dots in 8.15x 15 size and replace the Avons on my Sunburst wheels?? :-\
SAAC member since 1981

shelbydoug

Quote from: jjh on May 26, 2018, 10:43:07 PM
So I better hope they start reproducing Goodyear Blue Dots in 8.15x 15 size and replace the Avons on my Sunburst wheels?? :-\

I would think that if the tires mounted and they seal with no leaks, not to worry. The 10 spokes wouldn't seal to the radial tires. Ask Jim about the Sunbursts. I'd think he did some of those also?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

propayne

And checking regularly for cracks isn't a bad idea at all.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

TedS

Back in the early 80's I had a 65 Fairlane I had redone. After I put radials on it I started loosing hubcaps, and always the front. Just guessing at the time but I figured the radials were causing the wheels to flex. Guess I could have been right. I went to 68-69 styled steel wheels. Don't know if that was better but I didn't loose any more hubcaps or trim rings.

Ted

Bob Gaines

Good to know but apparently not a huge issue given all of the Shelbys and for that matter Mustangs that haven't reported issues related to this before.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

69 GT350 Vert

Quote from: Bob Gaines on May 27, 2018, 02:59:45 PM
Good to know but apparently not a huge issue given all of the Shelbys and for that matter Mustangs that haven't reported issues related to this before.

I agree.  I think if my original, glued 69 shelby rims were going to come apart, they would have done so already.  I've put 10,000 miles on them in my ownership period with radial tires. 

acman63

Quote from: shelbydoug on May 26, 2018, 08:12:25 PM

Jim Cowles was saying something about this a couple of years ago with mounting radials on the 14" Shelby 10 spoke wheels.

I remember there was a discussion about it as a result but I don't remember if there were any significant revelations discovered about it?

The deal is the original 10 spokes have an almost 90 degree bead surface  which is fine of you are using 90 degree bead bias belted tires but when you use a modern radial which has a 45 degree bead it can be an issue,  while the bias tire will seat easily  with 20 pounds of air ,  the radial may require almost 100  pounds to get all beads seated.  First tire I ever tried was a Goodyear GT radial  and the bead split at 85 pounds.  we polished the beads both sides  and that helped a little .  if you try this make sure you put the wheel and tire inside the protective cage at the tire store. Ill try to post some pics
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

shelbydoug

Quote from: acman63 on May 28, 2018, 09:20:33 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on May 26, 2018, 08:12:25 PM

The deal is the original 10 spokes have an almost 90 degree bead surface  which is fine of you are using 90 degree bead bias belted tires but when you use a modern radial which has a 45 degree bead it can be an issue,  while the bias tire will seat easily  with 20 pounds of air ,  the radial may require almost 100  pounds to get all beads seated.  First tire I ever tried was a Goodyear GT radial  and the bead split at 85 pounds.  we polished the beads both sides  and that helped a little .  if you try this make sure you put the wheel and tire inside the protective cage at the tire store. Ill try to post some pics

Did you have the same issue with the 15" 10 spokes?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!