News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Long shot - brake drums

Started by Skidado, June 18, 2022, 06:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skidado

In less than two weeks I intend to take #2751 to the Le Mans Classic event in France (I am based in the UK). While preparing the car for the trip I have discovered that one of the rear brake drums is warped causing the brake to 'snatch' on that side.

I have calls in to 3 UK parts suppliers but I'm not hopeful of them stocking 10x2.5 inch drums as Shelby mustangs and Fairlane wagons are rare in this country. NPD has them but shipping is more expensive than the parts and there's no guarantee of getting them in time. Brands doesn't publish a phone number.

Any suggestions before I have to leave the car behind?

Thanks

David

Kent

I think I could have some here. I will maybe also be in Le Mans, let me take a look for the drums.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

shelbydoug

Brake drums are fairly simple items and a good brake lathe with true them.

You can't possibly have twisted it unless something like the car was dropped out of a airplane from 25,000 feet and landed on it's rear sideways. It isn't possible.

The drum itself would be cracked through the hub mounting as would be the axle on that side.

Are you sure that you don't have a bent or damaged axle shaft/flange?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Skidado

I don't think the drum is cracked as it 'rings' true if I tap it with a hammer. I did think about a bent axle flange but I haven't bashed it against a kerb or similar.

I've just had the axle bearings replaced which in theory might have caused a bend in the flange but the snatching brake moved with the drum when I swapped sides of the car.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Skidado on June 18, 2022, 09:38:00 AM
I don't think the drum is cracked as it 'rings' true if I tap it with a hammer. I did think about a bent axle flange but I haven't bashed it against a kerb or similar.

I've just had the axle bearings replaced which in theory might have caused a bend in the flange but the snatching brake moved with the drum when I swapped sides of the car.
As has been suggested I would first have the drum turned and try it again to see if any difference.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

OldGuy

Quote from: Skidado on June 18, 2022, 09:38:00 AM

If during the axle bearing replacement (or any time that the drum was removed from the axle), the drum was "pried" off between the backing plate and the inside edge of the drum, it is conceivable that the drum face plate could have been bent. I've had experience of sticking drums because the inner diameter of the bore on the drum face plate can dig into the locating boss on the axle flange causing the drum to require "persuasion" to be removed.

Affixing the drum to a brake lathe and rotating it (and/or indicating in the inner drum face) should tell the tale. As Bob has stated, turning the drum (if there is enough material left) can cure the symptoms of your problem.

Frank   

s2ms

Are there Ford Rangers in the UK? At least in the US 1998-2011 Ranger 4x4's have 10x2.5 inch rear drums, as do some of the similar year Mazda pickups.
Dave - 6S1757

Skidado

Quote from: Kent on June 18, 2022, 07:51:16 AM
I think I could have some here. I will maybe also be in Le Mans, let me take a look for the drums.

That's very kind of you. I actually need the drums on the car in order to make it down there - it's not really drivable at the moment. I now have a call in to Branda to see if they can ship some over in time.

What car are you bringing to Le Mans?

David

Kent

Order them at rockauto they should come fast. I will bring my Shelby GT500 67 that is the plan, but I wait for an answer from the le mans museum as I also want to bring a car over there for the exhibition in the museum.

I didnt found 2 1/2 drums just originals that I need to keep. I also would look arround for ranger drums. I really thought I have 2 1/2 drums here from such an 9" but they are all gone. Sorry.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

JWH

Cobra Automotive offers the 10X 2 1/2 brake drums. Here is a link to the web page from the catalogue.
https://store.cobraautomotive.com/competition-rear-brake-drums/

As mentioned before, the Ford Rangers and Aerostar Vans had 10 X 2 1/2" brakes. The drums should be available at almost any auto parts store for quick and cheap delivery. Check the internet for some info, but for a quick and cheap fix, I would give this a try. Good luck making it to the show.
Jeff

Skidado

Ordered them from Branda in the end. Should be here in 3-4 days 😁

[quote I will bring my Shelby GT500 67 ...
[/quote]

@kent - if you are near the Porsche Curves look out for a Brittany Blue GT350 without stripes parked up. It would be good to meet!

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. If I'd had more time I might have found Ranger parts at a Ford dealer but work and family take priority!

David.

BGlover67

Quote from: s2ms on June 18, 2022, 04:49:44 PM
Are there Ford Rangers in the UK? At least in the US 1998-2011 Ranger 4x4's have 10x2.5 inch rear drums, as do some of the similar year Mazda pickups.

Good idea! Those guys can fix anything.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Kent

Hi David yes lets see how long the museum need for the reply´s to my mail. I need some stuff from them before I make the trip to Le Mans