Author Topic: 1967 GT500 with dealer installed 427  (Read 2424 times)

unkltrp1776

• View Profile
1967 GT500 with dealer installed 427
« on: June 17, 2022, 01:36:31 PM »
My father owned a 1967 GT500 that he purchased less than one year after being produced. He worked as a tuner at a speed shop and one of his coworkers had returned from Vietnam and used his saved pay to order the GT500 and have a 427 installed by the dealer. Soon after getting married, he came to my Dad and asked him if he wanted to buy his GT500 and simply handed over the payment book and signed the title over to him and re-enlisted. I was recently thinking about what dealer did these engine swaps and how many were produced.

Does anyone have any info to shed some light? My Dad lived on Long Island NY but I think he told me the car was bought and engine swapped at a New England dealership but Im not sure.

Any info would be helpful.
Thanks

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: 1967 GT500 with dealer installed 427
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 01:47:13 PM »
Very few dealers did this and even fewer are documented.

Its a unicorn, go luck on your search for more information

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2022, 12:16:36 AM »

+1. many conversions to the 427 but they were typically done by previous owners and not dealers it was not a easy task back when the 67 Shelby's sold new. were new . The swap required headers . No ready made headers for 427 heads in a Mustang body at the beginning of 1967 production. Headers had to be custom made .  There were other things that had to be done for the conversion also. Consequently it would be not only expensive labor and parts wise but a daunting task for the dealer to figure out how to do it and what was needed.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2022, 08:01:31 AM »

+1. many conversions to the 427 but they were typically done by previous owners and not dealers it was not a easy task back when the 67 Shelby's sold new. were new . The swap required headers . No ready made headers for 427 heads in a Mustang body at the beginning of 1967 production. Headers had to be custom made .  There were other things that had to be done for the conversion also. Consequently it would be not only expensive labor and parts wise but a daunting task for the dealer to figure out how to do it and what was needed.

IF the 427 was a Ford Dealer installation, the engine installed would likely be what was available as a service part at that moment.

There were 67 427's listed as available for a short time in the '67 model year but the quantity must have been limited and they did not last long.

I'd take a guess and say that it is more likely a '68 W code 427 and that would help with the exhaust manifold situation not requiring headers.

Now if we found that there was a 427 still installed then with the story of a Dealer Installed engine, then at least the casting dates on that engine would come into play as making it a possibility instead of another "my dog ate my homework" explanation again.

No one is going to buy that story if you find it is a '63 center oiler or even a center oiler at all since a new service assembly would have been a side oiler. The '67 version is the "good one" and probably the scarcest of the lot to find intact.

So far the only documented '67 427's are the Shelby installed ones.

Dam eternally that first Registry "Dealer Installed 427". Who came up with that place holder moniker?  I suppose that sounded harmless enough at the time?  ::)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Grumpy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2022, 09:25:51 AM »
Robie Ford in Dorchester, Ma. did them.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2022, 10:26:33 AM »
Robie Ford in Dorchester, Ma. did them.

Cash talks. Nobody walks. You just had to ask Bill Kolb.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Wedgeman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2022, 11:51:48 PM »
There were 3 original 67 GT500's with factory 427 engines  ( #289...#544...#1947 ). Ok, we know about #544..had a bundle of snakes built headers...but what about the other 2 ??  They could not have used the GT exhaust manifolds, they would not bolt up to the 8 bolt Medium Riser Cylinder Heads. So how did they leave the factory ? As was said earlier, there were no aftermarket headers available yet...what sort of system was used? Any original pics of #289  & #1947  around? Would like to hear any input on this subject !!.. :o

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2022, 12:06:16 AM »
There were 3 original 67 GT500's with factory 427 engines  ( #289...#544...#1947 ). Ok, we know about #544..had a bundle of snakes built headers...but what about the other 2 ??  They could not have used the GT exhaust manifolds, they would not bolt up to the 8 bolt Medium Riser Cylinder Heads. So how did they leave the factory ? As was said earlier, there were no aftermarket headers available yet...what sort of system was used? Any original pics of #289  & #1947  around? Would like to hear any input on this subject !!.. :o
Both 289 & 1947 most likely had the same custom built headers that were made on the cars like we see in the pictures of on #544. They were the same or similar given they were custom built and consequently no doubt had slight differences. #289 owner ordered his car to match his 427 Cobra.  1947 was ordered because its owner wanted to drag race it. From all indications the headers had to be cut off the cars to do work or when removing the engine. At least for the first year or so until removable 427 in a Mustang body headers became available. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2022, 12:33:08 AM »
Just a little tidbit about the headers.

Original paperwork lists time it took to install the engine was charged 16 hours and they listed 15 hours for making and installing the headers. Don't know what the shop rate was at the time  ::)

Looks like material for the headers for $146.58 was charged to the project
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2022, 10:02:42 AM »
Shelby invoice for #544.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2022, 10:39:26 AM »
There is no argument about the Super Snake getting the "lightweight 427" but I'm not sure that it is documented that the other two did also?

There was a '67 427 available for the Fairlane. It was a MR, had 2-4's and iron heads.
There IS a special iron exhaust manifold for them and as expected, is referred to as the 427 Fairlane manifold.

The '67 427 R's would have come as a crate engine with those manifolds.

Never having attempted to install them in a Mustang I can't say if they fit or not but in the past I spoke to George Porubski about that and he said that they can fit but require some grinding.

Considering that the three Shelby cars were intended for racing, it's most likely that SS type tube headers were built on the cars.

I haven't seen specific reference to them or any pictures and know of no one who has ever.

I'm not sure when the first aftermarket bolt on Mustang FE headers appeared but it isn't a stretch to say, right around this time.

It is entirely possible that the Hooker 2-1/8" primary "Competition" headers with the front four tubes in front of the cross member and the slip tubes were the first to appear. FE Mustangs were showing up at the drag strips and there was some demand for headers at the time.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 10:44:48 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2022, 10:43:56 AM »
There is no argument about the Super Snake getting the "lightweight 427" but I'm not sure that it is documented that the other two did also?

There was a '67 427 available for the Fairlane. It was a MR, had 2-4's and iron heads.
There IS a special iron exhaust manifold for them and as expected, is referred to as the 427 Fairlane manifold.

Never having attempted to install them in a Mustang I can't say if they fit or not but in the past I spoke to George Porubski about that and he said that they can fit but require some grinding.

Considering that the three Shelby cars were intended for racing, it's most likely that SS type tube headers were built on the cars.

I haven't seen specific reference to them or any pictures and know of no one who has ever.

I'm not sure when the first aftermarket bolt on Mustang FE headers appeared but it isn't a stretch to say, right around this time.
Yes there is documentation that the other two cars got the light weight engines.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2022, 11:00:50 AM »

It is entirely possible that the Hooker 2-1/8" primary "Competition" headers with the front four tubes in front of the cross member and the slip tubes were the first to appear. FE Mustangs were showing up at the drag strips and there was some demand for headers at the time.
The 427 exhaust port bolt pattern is different then the 390 bolt pattern used in Mustang at that time . I doubt that there was a immediate incentive for header companies to tool up production for 390 headers in the new for 67 body style. It would be a stretch to think that there was any monetary incentive to tool up header production for a rare 427 in that Mustang body style. That is why I said a year or so.
 I know that there were some by 1969 because I watched some being installed in that year. Regardless the time frame in which the 3 427 cars were built it is safe to say that there wasn't any aftermarket headers available which is why SA had to have them built for any car that they put a 427 in. 

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2022, 11:58:05 AM »

The 427 exhaust port bolt pattern is different then the 390 bolt pattern used in Mustang at that time . I doubt that there was a immediate incentive for header companies to tool up production for 390 headers in the new for 67 body style. It would be a stretch to think that there was any monetary incentive to tool up header production for a rare 427 in that Mustang body style. That is why I said a year or so.
 I know that there were some by 1969 because I watched some being installed in that year. Regardless the time frame in which the 3 427 cars were built it is safe to say that there wasn't any aftermarket headers available which is why SA had to have them built for any car that they put a 427 in.

Because I am curious, those Dealerships that installed 427's in GT 500's, could they have installed just a 427 Short Block to avoid the Header/Exhaust issues?

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2022, 12:57:58 PM »

I have a 1969 Hot Rod magazine with the want ads in the back. Someone was selling  brand new 427 engines for 2 grand in 1969 and suspect that price was at least that in 1967. I didn't even think about the problem with the exhaust with the new engine bay and headers. Thanks for the info Bob.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)