Author Topic: Ford Mustang Fastback Project and Shelby GT350 Parts Package  (Read 3436 times)

crossboss

• ^My Current Project^
    • View Profile
Re: Ford Mustang Fastback Project and Shelby GT350 Parts Package
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2022, 11:29:39 AM »
Expensive REBODY.
SAAC should now be on alert.

Surprised the sellers state DMV and state troopers are not deep diving into this cars dual VIN and titles.

Bill

And the FBI. VIN tapering/swapping is a felony. Like I mentioned, SAAC is now put on notice.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

crossboss

• ^My Current Project^
    • View Profile
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2022, 12:57:53 PM »
I kind of dont think a re-body  is wrong, but it should have to be told what it is. I would not like to find out that my used Shelby is a Shelby with a used body that never was "real" or "original" Shelby....I guess its hard to describe it? Mustang with a real Shelby VIN?
RARE  Signature Delete

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2022, 01:32:49 PM »
The history of this/these vehicle/s are now on record in cyberspace.  Given the amount of labor and additional parts required, the winning bidder will have to be a professional or very accomplished amateur in order to not lose money on this project.  IMHO, it would be less expensive to have purchased an already complete and restored 1966 GT350 with a clean history.
5S071, 6S1467

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2022, 01:51:15 PM »
Expensive REBODY.

Surprised the sellers state DMV and state troopers are not deep diving into this cars dual VIN and titles.

Bill

Did I miss something?  I saw it as one set of VIN's on the body (Dearborn car) and another set of VINs on some detached inner fender panels that belonged to a San Jose car. No rebody mating up the two

As far as the state in one form or another, does not appears anyone has "rung the bell" yet.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

crossboss

• ^My Current Project^
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2022, 02:09:19 PM »
Expensive REBODY.

Bill

Did I miss something?  I saw it as one set of VIN's on the body (Dearborn car) and another set of VINs on some detached inner fender panels that belonged to a San Jose car. No rebody mating up the two

As far as the state in one form or another, does not appears anyone has "rung the bell" yet.

Jeff,
Im quire confidant, the buyer will install the 'K' VIN onto this 'A' code Fastback. Why do you think it sold, and for such a high price? Viola, instant rebody of a VIN swap. That IS a felony.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2022, 06:35:32 PM »
Im quire confidant, the buyer will install the 'K' VIN onto this 'A' code Fastback. Why do you think it sold, and for such a high price? Viola, instant rebody of a VIN swap. That IS a felony.

There is a legal route to do it. Ford did it when they retagged the unsold 69 Shelbys as 1970 production. The Feds oversee the process and one needs to prove ownership of both sets of numbers. Once the swap is made the rusty/crashed/etc hulk must be destroyed. The unused paper work goes to the state and listed as junked/destroyed. The bottom line though an individual does not have the clout of Ford and if he doesn't have a close personal friendship with someone from the FBI it ain't gonna happen.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

crossboss

• ^My Current Project^
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2022, 07:12:07 PM »

There is a legal route to do it. Ford did it when they retagged the unsold 69 Shelbys as 1970 production. The Feds oversee the process and one needs to prove ownership of both sets of numbers. Once the swap is made the rusty/crashed/etc hulk must be destroyed. The unused paper work goes to the state and listed as junked/destroyed. The bottom line though an individual does not have the clout of Ford and if he doesn't have a close personal friendship with someone from the FBI it ain't gonna happen.

You are talking apples to oranges. A manufacturer can re-VIN cars as in case of '69 to a '70 model. 'Swapping' a VIN onto another body, as what may potentially be the case on this auction car is illegal. Go to the FBI website and read it. Many individuals, and auto/restoration shops were raided and charged with VIN tampering. IF you think I am wrong, go do a VIN swap yourself and then notify the FBI what you just did...No, I won't bail you out of jail.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 07:14:47 PM by crossboss »
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2022, 07:49:17 PM »
You are talking apples to oranges. A manufacturer can re-VIN cars as in case of '69 to a '70 model. 'Swapping' a VIN onto another body, as what may potentially be the case on this auction car is illegal.
Once the manufacturer has applied the VIN - THAT IS THE VIN. The FBI oversaw the swapping of the Shelby VINs. https://www.motortrend.com/features/1970-shelby-gt-500-hand-me-down/

As the official '69 model year expired, there were still 789 unsold Shelby vehicles sitting in lots. From a manufacturer's standpoint, this was not good. So the authorities were contacted, and under the supervision of FBI agents, the windshields were removed, the VIN tags were removed, and new VIN tags that stated the vehicles were '70 models were installed. Then the windshields were reinstalled. The destruction of the old plates was overseen by the agents as well.

Today there are a lot of cars running around with a front VIN and rear VIN. Those have been made by welding the good 1/2 of 2 vehicles together. The states generally brand the titles of these as rebody or rebuilt. 100% legal. I think Texas actually has a process to reassign the VIN from one car to another. Of course where do "repair" and "rebody" cross? Yes officer I replaced every panel except the front aprons that had the VIN. I used a combination of new and used sheet metal.

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2022, 10:01:04 PM »
There is only one explanation for the price paid and that is to rebody a car with the Shelby VIN. 

The engine, trans and rear housing are all not original to the original GT350.  Even the carb is a replacement.  Other than the front inner fender panel sections, what actually was original to 6S1130?  The tach?

As I wrote in the auction comments, I don't think the '65 VIN currently on the car is the original for the body.  There are indications that the shell is actually a '66.

Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

crossboss

• ^My Current Project^
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2022, 10:37:18 PM »
You are talking apples to oranges. A manufacturer can re-VIN cars as in case of '69 to a '70 model. 'Swapping' a VIN onto another body, as what may potentially be the case on this auction car is illegal.
Once the manufacturer has applied the VIN - THAT IS THE VIN. The FBI oversaw the swapping of the Shelby VINs. https://www.motortrend.com/features/1970-shelby-gt-500-hand-me-down/

As the official '69 model year expired, there were still 789 unsold Shelby vehicles sitting in lots. From a manufacturer's standpoint, this was not good. So the authorities were contacted, and under the supervision of FBI agents, the windshields were removed, the VIN tags were removed, and new VIN tags that stated the vehicles were '70 models were installed. Then the windshields were reinstalled. The destruction of the old plates was overseen by the agents as well.

Today there are a lot of cars running around with a front VIN and rear VIN. Those have been made by welding the good 1/2 of 2 vehicles together. The states generally brand the titles of these as rebody or rebuilt. 100% legal. I think Texas actually has a process to reassign the VIN from one car to another. Of course where do "repair" and "rebody" cross? Yes officer I replaced every panel except the front aprons that had the VIN. I used a combination of new and used sheet metal.

With all due respect, your beating a dead horse with the '69/'70 Shelby VIN changes. That has absolutely nothing to do with 'rebodies'
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

crossboss

• ^My Current Project^
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2022, 10:38:05 PM »
There is only one explanation for the price paid and that is to rebody a car with the Shelby VIN. 

The engine, trans and rear housing are all not original to the original GT350.  Even the carb is a replacement.  Other than the front inner fender panel sections, what actually was original to 6S1130?  The tach?

As I wrote in the auction comments, I don't think the '65 VIN currently on the car is the original for the body.  There are indications that the shell is actually a '66.

I absolutely agree that is the intention.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2022, 10:48:17 PM »
Anyone have a November 2003 Mustang & Fords magazine?

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2022, 11:17:54 PM »
Anyone have a November 2003 Mustang & Fords magazine?

Article could be (like #1) of one of the following

Looking at the 2011 Registry it shows the following (summarized)

A David McDonald owned 6S1757 in 2002 and the car was used to create a model for Exact Detail. Company may have seen the article and called to use the car. A blue car

A David L McDonald owned 6S1803 who appears to be the original owner and not the owner in 2003

Don't see any 65 or 67's that fit the information provided

Just a possibility

Don't recall seeing either car locally. About 15 miles or so from the last registered owner and city
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 11:20:24 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge