Author Topic: Brake Fluid?  (Read 1400 times)

Brandon

• View Profile
Brake Fluid?
« on: June 28, 2022, 01:25:51 AM »
Need to do a flush.  I know the formulas have changed over time -- what do folks use nowadays?

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Brake Fluid?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 06:38:36 AM »
If you are just flushing/replacing you probably want a DOT3/DOT 4 fluid.  Use a major brand.

There are a few opinions and preferences on this topic, like there is on engine oils, others will chime-in.

Type of use of the vehicle can factor in too.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2022, 09:27:58 AM »
Stock was Dot 3. That's what I would use.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

rhjanes

• R "Junior" Janes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 10:02:44 AM »
You need to replace with the same fluid type that is already there.  Unless you are also rebuilding the entire system.   When I rebuilt the brakes on my old cars, I went with all new rubber stuff and went with DOT-5 (Silicone).  It was a good choice for me as I use my collector cars (don't go road racing where heat can overwhelm silicone).  I've not had to flush or bleed the brakes in decades of light use.  Dot-5 doesn't absorb moisture so my 25+ year old fluid still looks clear and functions fine. 
But if you are simply flushing the system, use the same fluid in it already, most likely DOT-3.
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 11:08:53 AM »
If, in fact, it is DOT-3 in it now, I highly recommend MOTORCRAFT High Performance Brake Fluid.  In all the events I ran our '95 Cobra R, the brakes never failed me. 
5S071, 6S1467

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2022, 11:27:53 AM »
Also keep in mind that Dot 3 or 4 brake fluid will eat the paint if leaking from a fitting or bleeding the brakes . The silicone will not eat the paint when the inevitable happens and brake fluid leaks from a master , wheel cylinder or proportioning valve. If that is low priority then disregard. Silicone has other plus qualities like that have been mentioned. As has been mentioned changing over to silicone is a major job and best started during a restoration process when all parts have been refreshed. dot 3 and 4 also have their plus's and are overwhelmingly preferred when open track driving of your car.  I just wanted to do a little explaining for the uninitiated as to why some people use the silicone. It boils down to a personal choice based on how you plan to use your car.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2022, 05:07:15 PM »
I do a complete flush every 3 years, been using Valvoline DOT 3/4 synthetic for as long as I can remember...
Dave - 6S1757

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2022, 11:13:39 PM »
I do a complete flush every 3 years, been using Valvoline DOT 3/4 synthetic for as long as I can remember...

+1
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2022, 10:25:19 AM »
Stock was Dot 3. That's what I would use.

+1
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2022, 10:52:25 AM »
I have used silicone in both cars for 30 plus years with no problems at all. 

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339