Author Topic: weatherstrip adhesive colour  (Read 2258 times)

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: weatherstrip adhesive colour
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2022, 10:45:12 PM »
Thanks everyone, I have a 5oz tube of yellow 3m on the way from the US , nothing here in Australia though usually stocked so maybe supply chain issues.

As Bob noted, that stuff is not as nice as the neoprene.  If you have to use the tube stuff, squeeze some out and try to use a brush to apply.  It's stringy/snotty and not the right color, but using a brush is the only way to keep it from looking completely awful.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2022, 04:56:19 AM »
Some examples. Two of the trunk where the brushed on adhesive is visible on the messier side of the scale but very typical to see the sealant around the corners since the brush tended to spread out and not follow the recessed area too well along those turns

Two originals

Allot of dirt and dust in this adhesive from possibly the first few days or weeks after the car was built

And some examples of what you don't want. The bottom two are examples of the almost glowing product at least a couple of owners used on cars that were at SAAC 47. Upper one is a fairly common look of the 3M tube product applied out of the tube I believe

Hope this helps illustrate some of the comments and products

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Jack4159

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2022, 07:59:48 AM »
This is the best adhesive in my opinion. Herco makes good stuff too, just not as available as the 3M adhesive.

Thanks Royce, after a bit of a false start ordering 3m adhesive in tubes, I have now ordered a quart of the 3m neoprene stuff via the link you kindly provided, many thanks.

Jack4159

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2022, 08:03:02 AM »
Search for ebay seller: hercoman001

They sell an excellent amber/yellow color neoprene adhesive.  100X better than the 3M tube stuff. 

Will need to be applied with a brush (like the Ford assembly plant workers did).
Thank you Charles, I couldn't locate any Herco but did manage to order a quart of the 3m neoprene adhesive. I somehow managed to overlook your advice re the tube stuff and ordered some erroneously.....you can lead a horse to water....

Jack4159

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2022, 08:08:04 AM »
Some examples. Two of the trunk where the brushed on adhesive is visible on the messier side of the scale but very typical to see the sealant around the corners since the brush tended to spread out and not follow the recessed area too well along those turns

Two originals

Allot of dirt and dust in this adhesive from possibly the first few days or weeks after the car was built

And some examples of what you don't want. The bottom two are examples of the almost glowing product at least a couple of owners used on cars that were at SAAC 47. Upper one is a fairly common look of the 3M tube product applied out of the tube I believe

Hope this helps illustrate some of the comments and products
Thanks Jeff,
The pics made it really clear , appreciate you taking the time to post them , that yellow from the tube looks pretty awful.
I've managed to order a quart of the 3m neoprene stuff, searched high and low but couldn't find any Herco so hopefully the 3m will be OK.
Cheers/thanks again.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2022, 07:21:55 AM »
Thanks Royce and Bob.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)