Author Topic: KR Axle Housing Paint Markings July Build  (Read 2305 times)

TLea

• View Profile
Re: KR Axle Housing Paint Markings July Build
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2022, 08:07:06 PM »

I don't often get to correct Special Ed.
That’s very true because Ed is usually correct and in this case he is. For the sake of simplicity and not to confuse people over the spline count because of how Shelby put 31 spline axles into conventional 9

Shelby didn't put 31 spline axles in anything - Ford did on the assembly line.
Are we splitting hairs here? Of course Shelby didn’t put them in but Shelby cars specified them as well as the cobra jet Mustangs. Come on you can say it, Ed was correct

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2022, 08:49:55 PM »

That’s very true because Ed is usually correct and in this case he is. For the sake of simplicity and not to confuse people over the spline count because of how Shelby put 31 spline axles into conventional 9

Shelby didn't put 31 spline axles in anything - Ford did on the assembly line.
Are we splitting hairs here? Of course Shelby didn’t put them in but Shelby cars specified them as well as the cobra jet Mustangs. Come on you can say it, Ed was correct

Ed was mistaken and I posted a pictuure of the MPC to prove it. Many Ford and Mercury products got the 31 spline axles including any 427 (W code) or 428 (R code) Fords and Mercurys including Mustang, Cougar, Comet, Cyclone, Torino, Fairlane, Cobra and of course Shelbys because in 1968 Shelbys were made from Mustangs and Carroll Shelby was simply a member of the board of Shelby Automotive. I have minutes of many meetings and have none where he actually said anything. 
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

TLea

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2022, 09:28:56 PM »

It's a typical housing used after about February 1968 on all Mustang / Cougars.

No you are mistaken. Even changing to April 1 there was not a typical housing. There was staggered shock housing and non staggered

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2022, 09:59:34 PM »

No you are mistaken. Even changing to April 1 there was not a typical housing. There was staggered shock housing and non staggered

That's not what the book says nor what I have found over the past 50 years. Maybe you ought to be quiet and learn.

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2022, 10:55:20 PM »
I dont work on 68s or own any 68s anymore but i know the 2 hole housings are very hard to find and i seen many cj and boss cars that didnt have them when restored from being badly pitted or changed out. Back in the mid 70s when gas was high some low gear boss and cj cars just got a high gear drum to drum from local junk yards and changed the complete housing out instead of buying new high gears and rebuilding the center section. Since nobody parts out staggered shock performance mustangs u have a hard time finding 2 hole housings and its not as easy as drilling out an extra hole since both holes are in different spots than a  much common single hole housing and the outer vent hole is fine thread so on a 2 hole housing the inner hole is moved inward and outer moved outward both different hole locations than the single hole housing. On all my southwest trips buying rustfree parts i bought every 2 hole housing i could find off cars or still under the car and none were from cj cars as they dont exist in junkyards anymore BUT i found them on 70 351c 4bbl competition suspension cars and they use the  more common 1/2'' rear sway bar. Most of the ones i was able to buy were from 70 351c 4bbl cougars as they are the same as mustangs and were more easy to find years ago before all the yards got cleaned out.

TLea

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2022, 12:00:03 AM »

That's not what the book says nor what I have found over the past 50 years. Maybe you ought to be quiet and learn.
Good advice, you should try it

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2022, 05:40:23 PM »
Just got another one. This came from a '68 Cougar S code. Door tag was missing so I don't know what it was originally but it's a nice case and proper 2 hole configuration for a late car. Like Ed is saying the holes are located differently than the earlier single fitting housing, and while the  fitting for the hose is the same (I think it may be 1/4" NPS thread) the bolt that secures the brake line is 3/8" - 24 NF.

I think if I wanted to fake one I would TIG up the existing hole and then drill and tap new holes in the proper locations / thread sizes.

Early Single fitting style shown for comparison sake.

Fittings:

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2022, 01:42:17 PM »
Great photo royce showing the  holes differences .