News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

days after convention

Started by csheff, May 29, 2018, 06:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

csheff

To those who live in or near San Francisco, I plan on staying a couple of days Monday Tuesday leaving Wed. Need to find a place to stay for Monday and Tuesday night. Not sure whether or not to rent a car for that time. Going to do the Alcatraz tour Monday. Any good choices close to pier 33 or close by and easy transportation? Never been here before. Thanks
Craig

Bigfoot

Couple hotels down there.
I liked the one in the old Ghiradelli chocolate factory.

I think it's expensive tho now.
It wasn't the last time I was there. Free chocolate and movies.
Again,...that was several years ago....

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

csheff

Still looking for some ideas of places.

SFM5S000

Quote from: csheff on May 29, 2018, 06:48:47 AM
To those who live in or near San Francisco, I plan on staying a couple of days Monday Tuesday leaving Wed. Need to find a place to stay for Monday and Tuesday night. Not sure whether or not to rent a car for that time. Going to do the Alcatraz tour Monday. Any good choices close to pier 33 or close by and easy transportation? Never been here before. Thanks
Craig

Craig,

If I were coming to SF, I would consider the hotels just south of SFO (airport) I would consider the hotels in Burlingame. It's just a quick ride via BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) or Caltrain to downtown SF. Considerably less expensive than the hotels in the city. Or possibly an Air B&B. I'd also use a taxi or Uber/Lyft as PARKING is also a hassel and very expensive. (also if your wife is shopping DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING (packages, coat, jacket, car phone charger) VISABLE IN THE CAR! Car break-ins is out of control.
Use a rental car if you're considering SAAC 43 if it's the time frame of your visit. Traffic patterns and congestion in the bay area is extremely HEAVY (ranked 3rd or 4th in the country) The only time during the day that you can drive somewhat freely is between 10:00am and roughly 2:00pm. Other than that you will waste too much time sitting in traffic. (just a warning). If you carry an iPad or smart phone or some sort of tablet down load Sigalert.com for the Peninsula Traffic report. It's really accurate in real time.

I'm born and raised, native to the bay area. I too hate the traffic and as I said, I'm a local. Good Luck to you.

Cheers,
~Earl J

Grumpy

Just a heads up. If you rent a car some of the San Francisco hotels charge $40 a day for parking !!!

Don Johnston

If I were coming to SF, I would consider the hotels just south of SFO (airport) I would consider the hotels in Burlingame. It's just a quick ride via BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) or Caltrain to downtown SF. Considerably less expensive than the hotels in the city. Or possibly an Air B&B. I'd also use a taxi or Uber/Lyft as PARKING is also a hassel and very expensive. (also if your wife is shopping DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING (packages, coat, jacket, car phone charger) VISABLE IN THE CAR! Car break-ins is out of control.
Use a rental car if you're considering SAAC 43 if it's the time frame of your visit. Traffic patterns and congestion in the bay area is extremely HEAVY (ranked 3rd or 4th in the country) The only time during the day that you can drive somewhat freely is between 10:00am and roughly 2:00pm. Other than that you will waste too much time sitting in traffic. (just a warning). If you carry an iPad or smart phone or some sort of tablet down load Sigalert.com for the Peninsula Traffic report. It's really accurate in real time.

I'm born and raised, native to the bay area. I too hate the traffic and as I said, I'm a local. Good Luck to you.

Cheers,
~Earl J
[/quote]

That's what we are doing.  Probably spend some time at the Disney Museum this time or maybe go up to Napa for a ride on the Wine Train again.  Lots to see and do in the Bay area.

csheff