News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1969-70 Wheels Refurbishing

Started by Crowe34, July 06, 2022, 11:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crowe34

I have my original wheels for my 70 and am looking for someone to bring them back to the original look.  Please provide contact information for someone you would recommend for this service.
Thanks
Steve

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

nightmist67

I recently had a set of original 1969 Shelby wheels restored by Paradise wheels.  I was amazed at how pristine they looked compared to the condition they were in when I sent them out to be refurbished.  I was so impressed with Craig Conley's work that I have become a repeat customer.

FL SAAC

Quote from: nightmist67 on July 07, 2022, 03:37:54 PM
I recently had a set of original 1969 Shelby wheels restored by Paradise wheels.  I was amazed at how pristine they looked compared to the condition they were in when I sent them out to be refurbished.  I was so impressed with Craig Conley's work that I have become a repeat customer.

Can you share how long it took and costs involved?

Thanks

I have all UNGOLD cars

Special Ed

A guy from tenn was here last spring getting 69 shelby parts and he was working on restoring 69 rims using the original outer chrome rims over after rechroming them but never heard back as i told him i got 20 here that need done. The newer rims conley uses are much different than the originals.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Special Ed on July 07, 2022, 06:35:28 PM
A guy from tenn was here last spring getting 69 shelby parts and he was working on restoring 69 rims using the original outer chrome rims over after rechroming them but never heard back as i told him i got 20 here that need done. The newer rims conley uses are much different than the originals.
Plus besides the DOT complient rims he uses cap screws instead of rivets to hold the center to the rim. You end up with something that is different then how it was from the factory. The same differences as a repro.

Rim
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Special Ed

Just sent 13 original riveted 69 shelby rims with the tn restorer to have concours restorations done on them. I have around 50 original wheels here and about half of them are the riveted type. I dont know of anybody ever restoring these wheels exactly like the originals but we are going to try and get the center restored correctly and riveted back together as a correct rivet has been found or made. The center has excess sealant around the rivet head area but after putting the ole hawkeye on this it looks like only 3 rivet holes in a triangle pattern have  excess sealant coming out of a hole behind the rivet head hole so not sure why it was done that way. Also trying to figure out the correct finish on the 5 spoke sides and lugnut hole area as some people think they were goldish or that the clearcoat faded to a goldish look over the years from aging. We are going to correctly duplicate that look and after closely inspecting one of my nos wheels it looks more like a champagne or beige color finish. Anybody know more about this finish or the rivet hole sealant?