News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Could quartz clock conversion kill my battery?

Started by hurlbird, July 07, 2022, 06:39:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurlbird

All was fine... Had the clock converted and now installed my battery dies in 24 hrs. Volt meter shows 14 when running and the battery takes a charge quickly. Could it possibly be drawing so much? If so I assume the clock has problems? Thoughts? Thanks

68stangcjfb

It shouldn't. I had a quartz converted clock in a 1958 Thunderbird. I would leave the battery connected all winter long without a trickle charger and it would start right up in the spring. Either there is something really wrong with the clock, you have a draw from somewhere else or the battery is no good. Obviously, I would disconnect the clock first and see if the car starts the next day.
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

jk66gt350

I have never heard of or experienced what you are suggesting.  It assume may be possible if the clock is bad.  Try disconnecting the power plug for the clock and see what happens.   

Royce Peterson

The clock should not be an issue. Likely you just have a shot battery. Need to take it to any auto part store with free battery testing and find out.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

hurlbird

Yup... DOA. figures the battery dies at the same time i install the clock.. I seem to have a lot of these combo challenges never the obvious! :) thanks for the help.