Author Topic: f.i.v steering wheel removal  (Read 1130 times)

Jack4159

• View Profile
f.i.v steering wheel removal
« on: July 07, 2022, 07:30:20 AM »
I got the cap off easily enough and want to pull the wheel but now am stuck.
It looks like there is a second piece to come off before you can pull the wheel, you can see the join just before the spokes?
If I'm correct there, how does that bit come off? Is it threaded,or some type of friction or spring fir?....or am I on the wrong track?
Appreciate any advice on how to get this wheel off so I can give it a little clean and inspection before it goes back in the car.
I don't want to butcher it trying, thanks all.

shlby66

• View Profile
Re: f.i.v steering wheel removal
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 10:30:00 AM »

Hello Jack,

Here's how I removed the steering wheel from my '67 GT350.

!. Protect the wood rim with cloth/rags.
  2. Get a brass drift and a mallet/heavy hammer
  3. Sit in seat, prop your knees/thighs against bottom of steering wheel.
  4. Leave retaining nut ON !!!!!
  5. Hit center of steering shaft with drift and hammer.
  6. One or two good hits and it should pop off.

Good Luck.  Doug

papa scoops

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 03:06:01 PM »
loosen the retaining nut but dont take all the way off, a shot of wd 40 on the shaft the night before will also help

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2022, 04:08:00 PM »
To clarify,while you tap the center of the threaded shaft with nut still attached loosely apply even pressure on the back of the wheel with your legs….

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 04:11:54 PM »
+1 what they are sayin'
piece of cake
RARE  Signature Delete

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 05:11:26 PM »
I always back the nut off to the top or a little above the threads - reduces the chances of damaging the threads. I have a couple wheel pullers my dad had basically 3" long nut with the same threads as the shaft in one end. Remove nut thread it on and smack it a couple times with a 16 oz or bigger hammer and it's off - very little pressure behind the wheel is required.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2022, 12:33:44 AM »
Sorry  but I couldn't stand to read about all of the extra work called for in removing the wheel. I have been doing it this way for a few decades now. It was shown to me by a Shelby restorer (Yergovich) a few decades ago . In stead of a drift tool and hammer hit I choose what I feel is a easier and quicker method. The picture shows my tool of choice. It is a 20.00 harbor freight air chisel that I cut the end off of one of the accessory chisels to make a blunt hammer tool. After loosening the steering wheel nut to a few threads as previous described and putting upward pressure on the outer rim of the wheel as mentioned, a squeeze of the trigger of the gun held against the shaft and typically a second or two of rat a tat tat and the wheel is loose.  I just took a couple wheels off for Vern the other day at his shop. It is too easy to do it this way then any other method I have tried . I hope this helps some of my like minded friends . 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Jack4159

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2022, 04:59:55 AM »
Thanks gents great info and much appreciated, where would we be without the knowledgeable and helpful enthusiasts here.
I tried the drift today but alas it appears well stuck, have given it the wd-40 breakfree treatment will leave overnight and attack again tomorrow.
If still no joy I will be out with the Metabo hammer/chisel and use Bob's technique but will leave this till last as I would prefer to avoid cutting up a good chisel bit for what will be a one off for me, great option to have in need though.
Thanks again, will let you know how I get on.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2022, 07:13:21 AM »
Sorry  but I couldn't stand to read about all of the extra work called for in removing the wheel. I have been doing it this way for a few decades now. It was shown to me by a Shelby restorer (Yergovich) a few decades ago . In stead of a drift tool and hammer hit I choose what I feel is a easier and quicker method. The picture shows my tool of choice. It is a 20.00 harbor freight air chisel that I cut the end off of one of the accessory chisels to make a blunt hammer tool. After loosening the steering wheel nut to a few threads as previous described and putting upward pressure on the outer rim of the wheel as mentioned, a squeeze of the trigger of the gun held against the shaft and typically a second or two of rat a tat tat and the wheel is loose.  I just took a couple wheels off for Vern the other day at his shop. It is too easy to do it this way then any other method I have tried . I hope this helps some of my like minded friends .
Have you tired your tool on suspension pieces with pressure on them  from a "ball joint removing" tool? Seems it would work on suspension pieces also. Thanks for the tip. I got more than a few air chisel tools and will be cutting one real soon.  :) Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Jack4159

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2022, 09:02:21 AM »
Success  :)