News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

The Monaco purple dial

Started by deathsled, July 07, 2022, 06:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

98SVT - was 06GT

I think they have over done the Gulf theme. I like the blue also, my everyday watch is a FI chrono w/blue face. https://www.tagheuer.com/us/en/timepieces/collections/tag-heuer-formula-1/43-mm-quartz/CAZ1014.BA0842.html

Maybe I ought to do Dirk Pitt on a budget with an orange face one - about 1/4 the price of the Doxa.

Surprised you didn't go for the red one. If this was truly the last F1 race in Monaco I wonder how much these will jump in value?
The $70,000 50th anniversary Rolex Daytona is around 200 grand now.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

deathsled

I have the yellow faced F1.  I liked the yellow because it looked like a Ferrari tach.  I still have a traditional Monaco on my list.  F1 Chrono with a blue face is sah-weet!   

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: deathsled on July 07, 2022, 11:40:28 PMI still have a traditional Monaco on my list. 
It's gotta be the early look (I think the new ones are thicker though) with the stem on the left. With a lot of their limited ones it's on the right.

This automatic chronograph Monaco Calibre 11 is THE original model, the very first square and waterproof chronograph in the world. Revolutionary and icon of the "King of cool" Steve Mcqueen, this calibre 11 edition still features the famous crown on the left; it was a way of showing that manual winding was no longer necessary.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

deathsled

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on July 08, 2022, 12:08:42 AM
Quote from: deathsled on July 07, 2022, 11:40:28 PMI still have a traditional Monaco on my list. 
It's gotta be the early look (I think the new ones are thicker though) with the stem on the left. With a lot of their limited ones it's on the right.

This automatic chronograph Monaco Calibre 11 is THE original model, the very first square and waterproof chronograph in the world. Revolutionary and icon of the "King of cool" Steve Mcqueen, this calibre 11 edition still features the famous crown on the left; it was a way of showing that manual winding was no longer necessary.
That is exactly the one I had in mind.  It remains on my list of wants.  At first I wasn't crazy about a square case but it grew on me over the years.

deathsled

The Sinn 917 GR rally watch is seriously underrated in my estimation.
Case made of stainless steel, polished
Ar-Dehumidifying Technology enhances functional reliability and freedom from fogging
Sapphire crystal glass
Transparent case back made of sapphire crystal glass
Power reserve indicator
Countdown bezel, easy to read with to-the-second precision in time trials
Waterproof and pressure-resistant to 10 bar
Low pressure resistant

Side-Oilers

That fuel gauge graphic is cool.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

deathsled

Quote from: Side-Oilers on July 09, 2022, 02:50:20 PM
That fuel gauge graphic is cool.
I agree.  Represents how much wind is left in the watch.  My concern over this watch would be servicing.  I mean who is going to be able to refill the case with argon when it needs to be cracked open?  The factory will, but how long will the factory be for this world given that so many have moved away from watches to simply looking at their boring phone to tell time?  For me the Heuer Monaco is the watch to covet in a motorsport watch collection and can, in theory, be more easily serviced.