Author Topic: Tilt column disassembled  (Read 1476 times)

Jack4159

• View Profile
Tilt column disassembled
« on: July 09, 2022, 08:08:15 AM »
So it's all apart, just can't get the last 2 "housing" bits apart, which I need to do to replace the rear bearing.
There are internally threaded pins/screws that hold the 2 housing pieces together and I'm unsure if a special tool is required to wind into the internal thread on the pins, or if you can just use a correct size/threaded screw inserted into the pin and then pull it out, if they aren't in too tight.
That is a poor description I'm sorry but I think anyone who has done this and can help will know what I mean.
Pics show the pins with a hole in the centre, which is threaded.
Thanks as always for any advice.

bobboss351

• 651 485 9832
    • View Profile
Re: Tilt column disassembled
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 08:51:03 AM »
 There is a special tool and i have it at the shop, im at home and will try to post some pictures when i get there or text me at 651 485 9832 and i can send them via text,,, Im an older for tech and did a ton of tilt columns back in the day , but i had a very very very hard time trying to get them out ,, I was doing a 69 tilt away column and needed to replace the cable, it was caught in the housing and i ended up removing the column and sending to a guy in California that makes cables, he ended up sending me back tthe housing and i reassembled the column from there,,, so just a fyi,,, i have removed alot of the pivot pins but the tilt away column kicked my ass,,,,,,,, Bob Wilson   651 485 9832
RJ RESTORATIONS
Robert Wilson
701 FIRST ST
SUITE B
FARMINGTON ,MN
bobboss351@gmail.com

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2022, 11:20:04 AM »
West Coast Cougar used to do a lot of tilt away work but don't remember if they still have their tilt guy working or not. It is worth checking.They may have some insight.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

nctrucks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2022, 02:17:53 PM »
West Coast Cougar  Has a video for tilt column repair on the web site. It might be helpful for you.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2022, 02:20:56 PM »
The special tool that you need is a five pound sledge hammer. You smack the thing a few times with it. It actually doesn't fix anything but it will make you feel better smashing it.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Krelboyne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2022, 04:41:16 PM »
Those pivot pins can be really stubborn to remove. Easy to break the removal bolt, 6-32 I think. 

We send everyone to: Tony Augustine at 6t8cougarguy@gmail.com. West Coast Classic Cougar does not have anyone in-house, any longer.
Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC

KR500

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2022, 05:11:26 PM »
I have removed a fair amount of them over the decades of working on cars. They do make a special tool ( OTC no. 7889 or Kent Moore J21854-01 ). In the past I had always used the correct thread machine screw and put it in a dent puller and poped them right out. 10-12 years ago I bought the tool, and of course I have never needed to use it after I bought it. GM tilts of that area use the same type of pivot pins also. OTC tool package also lists it for Chrysler products in addition to Ford and GM

Rodney
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 05:14:32 PM by KR500 »
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2022, 06:14:46 PM »
Tony does great work on the tilt - away columns. He's done several for me and is currently doing one. He's backed up for a long time but the sooner you get in line the sooner it gets done.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Jack4159

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2022, 11:53:16 AM »
Thanks fellas.
Happily for me my column is in excellent shape so hopefully will be no need to send it away(unless I break it!).
I will report in on a planned home made extractor tool in due course....if it works.

Finally, a heads up(perhaps I'm the only one who didn't know this but there may be someone else out there.)
The tilt column locking pawl pins drift out of place over time and once this happens it is a matter of time before your tilt column chews itself to bits.
There is a video about this over at west coast classic cougar, I didn't think too much of it until I pulled mine to bits and both my pins were out of place exactly as described in the vid, luckily I caught it in time.
There is a solution being new pins with circlips on each end to hold them securely in place.

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2022, 04:57:16 PM »
Last column I did, installed the replacement pins with circlips, good peace of mind to know they won't back out.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Jack4159

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2022, 08:15:59 AM »
All done, but i got my ass kicked as suggested, did not put it together only one time maybe 4 or 5 😂big job doing it as a one off learning on the go first time thing but can be done.

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2022, 10:15:19 AM »
image rotated...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0