News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Best Holley 3259 715 for 6s281?

Started by Karguy, May 30, 2018, 10:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karguy

Would appreciate some advice on selecting the best Holley 3259 carburetor for 6S281.  This car was built at Ford about the second week of October 65. Block and Timing cover both cast in August 65.
The original Holly 3259 has been gone since pre-72, I have found and purchased a correct April 1 65 3258 carburetor that is in excellent condition. I have recently located a July 65, 3259 that is in excellent condition also and is available for purchase. My question is, am I just splitting hairs or would it be advantageous and closer to correct to have the July carburetor on 6s281?
Thanks very much for any input. Karl
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Karguy on May 30, 2018, 10:22:58 PM
Would appreciate some advice on selecting the best Holley 3259 carburetor for 6S281.  This car was built at Ford about the second week of October 65. Block and Timing cover both cast in August 65.
The original Holly 3259 has been gone since pre-72, I have found and purchased a correct April 1 65 3258 carburetor that is in excellent condition. I have recently located a July 65, 3259 that is in excellent condition also and is available for purchase. My question is, am I just splitting hairs or would it be advantageous and closer to correct to have the July carburetor on 6s281?
Thanks very much for any input. Karl
Of course a Oct 65 build is not when the engine was built . The engine which would be the most relevant to a carb choice date. What is the assembly date of the block?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Karguy

6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

Karguy

Unfortunately, it's not the original block but I have researched a number of cars with the Ford vin numbers very close to mine and I'm sure that I'm within three or four days of the actual engine build date and perfect for the casting date. I feel very fortunate to have found the block that I have.

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Brant

Based on my observations, the carb. dates vary widely. They just aren't as "consistent" as other dates. In my opinion, just about anything before the engine date would be fine.
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Karguy on May 30, 2018, 11:29:32 PM
Unfortunately, it's not the original block but I have researched a number of cars with the Ford vin numbers very close to mine and I'm sure that I'm within three or four days of the actual engine build date and perfect for the casting date. I feel very fortunate to have found the block that I have.
I would not think a April 65 dated carb was out of the ordinary in this case.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

texas swede

The original 3259 carburetor for 6S923 (Jan 4 built engine) is dated 581, i.e. first week of August 1965.
Texas Swede

Karguy

Interesting, the span of time between carb and build date of 6S923 is about five months. My April carb and engine build date of 6s281 is about five months also,  so looks like I may be golden with my 541 Holley.

Karguy

Just curious, since the engine for 6S923 was built January 4, what is your distributor date? Anyone know the tyical or average span of time between engine build dates and distributor dates? Sorry to get off topic of my original post.

texas swede

Sorry, I don't have the exact date as the car is in Sweden and the owner, my friend Roland
didn't answer when I called him. It's his birthday today.
However, if I remember correctly it was the first week of Dec 65.
Texas Swede

csxsfm

This should get you pretty close.  The original 3259 on 6S290 is date coded 571.

Karguy

That is very interesting about 290. Makes sense to me that it would be in that July range for the carburetor. Do you happen to know the build date on the original block for 290? Based on other cars close to ours I'm sure our Ford Vin numbers are very close.

csxsfm

Sorry.  290's original engine was replaced by a Traco built 289.

Karguy

Thanks anyway, 281's engine was replaced in 1972 with a Ford service replacement hipo long block. Long before numbers and originality mattered much, the original engine went back to Ford as a core.
Thanks again for your time.