News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Where are all rivets mounting ram air chamber to 68 Shelby hood and what sealant

Started by BlackCobraKR, July 15, 2022, 11:45:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackCobraKR

I am building a 1968 Shelby GT500KR clone and I am wanting to mount the ram air chamber to the reproduction Tony Branda 68 shelby hood that I purchased. Can somebody tell me or show where all the rivets where located to hold the ram air chamber underneath the hood and also what sealant I could use to seal it to the hood?

I would appreciate any help and thanks!

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

WT6066-2600

Happen to have this original KR hood in garage, if you want closeups of rivets with a tape measure locating them, Send PM with email and I will forward photos. Good luck

BlackCobraKR

Quote from: WT6066-2600 on July 15, 2022, 06:07:04 PM
Happen to have this original KR hood in garage, if you want closeups of rivets with a tape measure locating them, Send PM with email and I will forward photos. Good luck

Will do and thanks!

shelbydoug

If you have a reproduction ducting, at least the one that Branda sells, shows the location of the heads of original rivets.

The rivets are the easy part. Reproducing the mounting adhesive mess accurately is a real issue.

I believe that if you follow that entire thread that Tim posted he indicates that he thinks he has got the last of the original adhesive and the rivets?

Even the cured color of the adhesive is a bit unique. You need to realize that at the time Smith wasn't just the cutting edge of the technology it was the technology. It's difficult to recreate the crudeness of it now.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

BlackCobraKR

Quote from: shelbydoug on July 16, 2022, 10:17:29 AM
If you have a reproduction ducting, at least the one that Branda sells, shows the location of the heads of original rivets.

The rivets are the easy part. Reproducing the mounting adhesive mess accurately is a real issue.

I believe that if you follow that entire thread that Tim posted he indicates that he thinks he has got the last of the original adhesive and the rivets?

Even the cured color of the adhesive is a bit unique. You need to realize that at the time Smith wasn't just the cutting edge of the technology it was the technology. It's difficult to recreate the crudeness of it now.

Yeah I looked for that but this one does not show the locations at least none that I can see. I think Branda also has some of the correct rivets but I may be mistaken.