Author Topic: 427 Aluminum intake  (Read 1776 times)

coryh

• View Profile
427 Aluminum intake
« on: July 16, 2022, 07:20:17 AM »
Hello
      I am looking for some help identifying an aluminum intake I have.  It is sitting on a 427 side oiler.  It is a medium rise intake. Other than the firing order stamping there is a FOMOCO, CFMD 9425A, and COBRA also on the intake.  No date tags or other markings or hallmarks.  In searching I can't seem to find the part number listed on any site.  Trying to identify when and what for it may have been used on.  Was it a Shelby offered aftermarket part or Ford offered?  I do know some of it can get a little confusing for what/when was offered by both.
  Thank you
   Cory

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 427 Aluminum intake
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2022, 10:08:52 AM »
It is the "Autosport" aftermarket version before the casting ID changed to Shelby.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

TA Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2022, 09:14:54 PM »
Shown on Mustangtec:  http://www.mustangtek.com/FordIntake.html

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2022, 10:09:40 PM »
Those are from the early 1970’s just prior to Shelby partnering with JC Penney automotive.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

coryh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2022, 08:02:13 AM »
Thank you for all the responses.  I did search the mustangtek site but the CFMD part number isn't shown.
    Cory

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2022, 08:43:02 AM »
It is the same as the SHELBY lettered version but predates it.

There are no date codes on those castings so you can't positively identify them but it is thought by some that the COBRA castings with the Shelby aftermarket engineering numbers like yours are from about 1967 and the SHELBY logs start appearing with the same engineering numbers in 1968.

It is a Shelby Autosport "aftermarket" item. Aftermarket in this instance simply meaning that it was never installed new on a Ford product before delivery to the first owner.

As an interesting note, the SHELBY lettered intake manifold on the 69-70 GT350's is  a production manifold, sort of...it was installed by AO Smith, not Ford on the assembly line.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

csxsfm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2022, 10:52:34 AM »
Bought Shelby race parts over-the-counter from George Spears at Autosport "back in the day."  Had a forlorn Lone Star collecting dust in the "showroom" as I recall. 

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2022, 12:09:22 PM »
The "CFMD" number indicates it is a "Cobra Ford Marine Division" part. They were marketed through Vic Hubbard Marine in Phoenix, Honest Charley's in Tenessee, and Gratiot Auto Supply in Michigan.

The "SFMD" intakes are Shelby Ford Marine Division. These intakes have added bosses in the front for Chris Craft marine throttle linkage mounts. The boss for mounting the Ford coil is there, but was not originally drilled and tapped because the Ford coil location interfered with the marine throttle shaft installation. The latter Shelby marked intakes continued to be sold by the previous distributors as well as JC Penney's.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

TA Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2022, 03:02:21 PM »
Thank you for all the responses.  I did search the mustangtek site but the CFMD part number isn't shown.
    Cory

Yes it is, you have to go down approximately 85 intakes down to see it. It's crazy how many intakes there are for Fords.

Roy
Overkill is just enough.

coryh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2022, 03:55:54 PM »
You all are an absolute wealth of information.   Thank you for taking the time to respond.  I thought I’d post some photos.
    Cory

TA Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2022, 07:23:25 AM »
My mistake. You were looking for an "A" intake and the one I posted was a "C" intake 🥴  I need more sleep 😴

Roy
Overkill is just enough.