News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

EU ends speeding

Started by 98SVT - was 06GT, July 16, 2022, 11:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

98SVT - was 06GT

Big brother will be your co-pilot

https://www.autoweek.com/news/industry-news/a40543584/anti-speeding-tech-mandatory-in-european-union/

New regulations adopted by the European Commission have made intelligent speed assistance technology mandatory for all new models.
Manufacturers will choose between four different speed warning systems, ranging from auditory alerts to automatically lifting accelerator pedals.
Mandatory on all new cars sold by 2024, the switchable ISA technology is expected to reduce speeding by 30% and traffic deaths by 20%.
The European Union's intelligent speed assistance program took effect on Wednesday, starting a new era of enhanced safety regulations brought forward by the cluster of European nations. The program is focused on limiting speeding through four different warning systems installed in all new chassis introduced in the EU. Manufacturers are only required to pick one system and will be able to choose which of the four warning systems to install, though some have already elected to install multiple.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

crossboss

Ford and GM have been doing this in the US for years. Sync, and OnStar are not your friends. Its also a monitor to cancel your warranty IF it detects any moving violations like speeding and racing. This 'black box' can also be turned over to law enforcement and insurance companies. Big brother IS watching you.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

FL SAAC

And now the end is near
So I face the final curtain
My friend, I'll say it clear
I'll state my case of which I'm certain
I've lived a life that's full
I've traveled each and every highway
And more, much more than this
Big brothers waaaaathciiiiing
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: crossboss on July 16, 2022, 12:41:38 PM
Ford and GM have been doing this in the US for years. Sync, and OnStar are not your friends. Its also a monitor to cancel your warranty IF it detects any moving violations like speeding and racing. This 'black box' can also be turned over to law enforcement and insurance companies. Big brother IS watching you.

Yep but they limited speed due to tire ratings. Lots of PDs scan OBDII after a crash to see if they can place the blame. The ACLU for years has fought OBDIII due to it's intrusive data gathering and transmission capability. It even includes the ability of remote shut off - ala OnStar.

Side-Oilers

^^. A buddy of mine works at a major SoCal TV News station. Following one of the latest high-speed police chases, where the perp drives and drives and drives, putting innocent people at risk, I asked my friend if he's ever seen an occurrence where the cops called On Star (for example) and asked for the ignition to be turned off.

He said "never." 

He surmised that it's probably due to the liability of what damage the out-of-commission vehicle, traveling on a highway with no driver control, may do. 

So, apparently they can watch you, spay on you, and clock you ...but they can't shut you off. Even in an emergency like a high speed chase with the kidnapped victim in the vehicle.

Interesting.

Legal thoughts? Richard?
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Side-Oilers on July 16, 2022, 11:23:59 PMHe surmised that it's probably due to the liability of what damage the out-of-commission vehicle, traveling on a highway with no driver control, may do. 
Might be different with an electric car where they could shut off or reduce the propulsion but still have the power steering and power brakes operational.

OnStar can, and has been, used to disable a vehicle at the request of law enforcement in an emergency. I was personally involved in an incident where a subject stole a Silverado equipped with OnStar.  The vehicle was located by OnStar and a pursuit ensued.  The subject crashed the Silverado before it could be "shut off".  Conveniently for him, there was a pistol in the glovebox.  He used that to "carjack" a tractor trailer.  The TT was later stopped by shooting out the tires.

OnStar and Sync can provide telematics (generally after the fact, but in real time depending upon circumstances) including vehicle location, braking, seat belt usage, required maintenance, etc.  Fleet owners purchase the service to monitor drivers, etc.  OnStar is, generally, not used to rebut warranty claims as not all GM vehicles have OnStar activated and there is usually other evidence of abuse.  I would need to read the OnStar contract to see if it is prohibited.  Most GM vehicles have "embedded OnStar hardware", though not all vehicles have it activated.  OnStar has been in use for 25 years. 

Since 1998 all vehicles built and sold in the US have been required to have airbags.  The airbag module can record time of impact/airbag deployment, speed at impact, seat belt usage, braking, and steering input.  There is generally a short "buffer" recorded prior to deployment.  Most law enforcement can recover this information without assistance from the manufacturer.

Airbag module and telematic information can be obtained by law enforcement through use of a search warrant.  It isn't provided to LE, or anyone else, other than the vehicle owner, without appropriate paperwork (warrant, subpoena, etc). While it is often used for fatal crashes, murders, kidnappings, etc., it isn't used for summary traffic offenses due to the resources necessary to obtain the information.  In emergency situations the information can be provided without a warrant/subpoena, however, that usually follows after the fact before the information can be use for prosecution.

Most "push (button) to start" equipped vehicles have the capability now to have the engine stopped while maintaining (electric) power steering, brakes, etc.  2021 and newer GM vehicles do.   

Side-Oilers

Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

deathsled

The liability associated with turning off an engine or in the EU's case lifting off a gas pedal particularly in a circumstance where one needs more power than less to avoid an accident, there will be civil liability issues to contend with here in the US.  There will be some governmental immunity invoked by any government agency acting under color of law which might defeat any civil case filed against a governmental body in a lawsuit sounding in tort.  The EU rules will certainly conflict with Germany's Autobahn rules but for years the various German governments have been attempting to rein in the speedlimitless portions of their highways and now they might have a way around the general rule using technology as their end goal.  None of this bodes well on either side of the Pond for happy motoring.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Lincoln tech

What is that " Black box " ? I've never seen one.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Lincoln tech on July 18, 2022, 07:16:51 PM
What is that " Black box " ? I've never seen one.

"black box" an aircraft term being used to refer to an automotive ECU and not the big ORANGE flight data recorder box you find in airplanes.

pbf777

It's normally just natural unfinished die-cast and rolled sheet aluminum.   :)

Scott.

Lincoln tech

Quote from: pbf777 on July 19, 2022, 11:53:57 AM
     It's normally just natural unfinished die-cast and rolled sheet aluminum.   :)

Scott.
Yes , Ford calls it PCM and it does store freeze frame data when a fault is detected although the older ones were quite limited and easy to erase , I was just wondering how many people tore their cars apart to find the actual " black box " ?  ;)

deathsled

To have a black box and its data admitted into evidence in a civil suit (as well as criminal), one will require an expert witness (at great expense) to authenticate the data and to prove that the box was in good working order and proper calibration prior to the accident and that the numbers are accurate. The data is not presumptively admissible.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"