News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

timing cover ribs

Started by TLea, July 16, 2022, 05:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLea

When did the ribs on the timing covers disappear on the C5OE covers? I know it was sometime during early 67 model year production

Bossbill

Tim -- I have a no-rib cover dated late in 1966.
See this post for details:
https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=21159.msg132976#msg132976

Here is a pic of the date dots and maybe we can come to a consensus on date. I think November.
Do note that the date inside looks a bit like 65, but this IS a no-rib cover and they didn't have anything like this in 65.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

JD

Maybe this will help...maybe not
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bossbill

I saw that, but the part I have says the changeover occurred in late 66, CY.
It doesn't help that the date dials aren't dotted very well.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Bossbill on July 18, 2022, 09:16:41 AM
I saw that, but the part I have says the changeover occurred in late 66, CY.
It doesn't help that the date dials aren't dotted very well.
It reads shortly after the start of the model year which would have been late 66.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

TLea

Exactly. I'm trying to see if a car built in early October should have a ribbed or no ribbed cover. Engine would've been assembled mid September

J_Speegle

Quote from: TLea on July 18, 2022, 07:24:15 PM
Isn't this 10-66?

Not with the dots I can make out. I'm seeing 6 dots on five vanes

June 66

Would need to check other data for your Sept built engine assembly question. And of course this is not a Shelby engine question but one shared by all 289's built at Cleveland during 67 production so in ways we have many more examples to consider
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

TLea

Quote from: J_Speegle on July 18, 2022, 08:21:40 PM
Quote from: TLea on July 18, 2022, 07:24:15 PM
Isn't this 10-66?

Not with the dots I can make out. I'm seeing 6 dots on five vanes

June 66

Would need to check other data for your Sept built engine assemblyquestion
Your eyes are better than mine

J_Speegle

Quote from: TLea on July 18, 2022, 06:27:41 PM
Exactly. I'm trying to see if a car built in early October should have a ribbed or no ribbed cover. Engine would've been assembled mid September

After a look at other original cars from the time period I would say yes. Seven ribs with the top bolt holes (to water pump)  untrimmed
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

I wanted to get another point of view on date code in the picture 8,10 of 66?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Quote from: Bob Gaines on July 19, 2022, 12:58:04 AM

Looks like the depressions or evidence of 10, the way I'm seeing it. Wonder if they used a wood plug pressed in the mold to make the dates. If you made up a bunch of year date plugs then you would only need to take a drill  quickly to the number of vanes for the month. or at least try and hit a vane looking at some examples. Guess you could do clay also to make the stamp.  Need to ask a couple of guys I guess

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Bob Gaines on July 19, 2022, 12:58:04 AM
I think it is a 10 /66 date too but wanted another set of eyes on it. This is from a no rib timing cover. It is the earliest that I have come across with no ribs. My 67 GT350 0001 had a ribbed cover unfortunately I can not find where I recorded the date code .The original vin stamped block was all together when I found it in the 80's but I can't be sure what was messed with and what was not.It did have a lot of original components normally changed like fuel pump ,waterpump etc. With no evidence to suggest otherwise I left the components together.  I do remember the majority of date codes were commonly in Sept of 66.

JD

OK, I see 5 "dots" indicated, yes or no?  (Where's the 6th?)

EDIT: OK, Jeff your saying the month line that in the image I marked-up the 2nd has two dots and that indicates two months but one the same month indicator?
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

J_Speegle

Quote from: JD on July 19, 2022, 10:45:05 AM
OK, I see 5 "dots" indicated, yes or no?  (Where's the 6th?)

EDIT: OK, Jeff your saying the month line that in the image I marked-up the 2nd has two dots and that indicates two months but one the same month indicator?

We have, from where I'm sitting, 6 dots on 5 vanes so honestly we could read it as May or June. What we don't know and never will is if the worker meant either date and simply placed two dots on one vane or he make, on purpose the one van with two marks. These are the same workers at the same plant that also were markign things like bell housing that didn't have the van detail on the date plug for some reason. Depending on the time period they had small guide dots or just a ring in the basic design and you can see in those examples where the dots are placed all over the place. So do we have a worker working in the timing cover casting area that day that had been marking bell housings (for example) and now trying to line up the dots on specific vans and missed?  Don't know for certain