News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1966 GT350 Carry-Over for sale UK

Started by 7777kx, August 13, 2022, 01:18:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

s2ms

Quote from: Bill Collins on August 15, 2022, 10:28:46 AM
Without weighing in on the discussion regarding 6S240 having backup lights from the factory, there is a plausible reason why the car was restored with them.

MOT regulations in the UK require that turn signals be physically separate from the taillight, they cannot be functionally combined using the same lens as in the US. Since 240 was restored in the UK, it was finished in compliance with this requirement. It is common UK practice to adapt the backup lights on early Mustangs to function as signals. This is the reason for the amber lenses in the backup light housings.

Great info Bill. I was curious about the amber lenses, thanks for clearing that up!
Dave - 6S1757

s2ms

Quote from: SFM6S087 on August 15, 2022, 10:07:00 AM
That is a very interesting car.

I see mention in the Registry of The Marshal Motor Company adding alloy wheels, 2 outside rear view mirrors, radio antenna and dash clock. But no mention of backup lights. And adding those would have required replacing the rear valance panel. Not something I think a dealer would want to do. But the car wasn't sold to the original owner until 1967, so I suppose anything is possible.

Is the window sticker that you mentioned original? Could you post a copy of that window sticker? I'd love to see it, and I'm sure Howard will want to update his records if those backup lights really were dealer installed.

Thanks,
Steve Sloan

I'd also like to see a photo of the original window sticker to see which version it is, would like to add it to my database.

Thanks,
Dave
Dave - 6S1757

tomhawk

Sorry no longer have the window sticker. Owned 165 in the 80s the window info went with the car. It also had an e brake warning light that was ford equip. Looked dealer installed to me. Just like cars with LE Mans stripes, some options  were installed by the dealer.  I do remember the options were handwritten on the sticker then added to the selling price by the dealer. The car was unrestored when I purchased. Did an amateur resto, will have to excuse me was pretty young.

SFM6S087

Quote from: Bill Collins on August 15, 2022, 10:28:46 AM
Without weighing in on the discussion regarding 6S240 having backup lights from the factory, there is a plausible reason why the car was restored with them.

MOT regulations in the UK require that turn signals be physically separate from the taillight, they cannot be functionally combined using the same lens as in the US. Since 240 was restored in the UK, it was finished in compliance with this requirement. It is common UK practice to adapt the backup lights on early Mustangs to function as signals. This is the reason for the amber lenses in the backup light housings.

Bill, I checked with the owner of this car and got a little additional information. The turn signal lights in the UK cannot be red - must be amber. So even if the law didn't require a separate turn signal light, something would have to be done to the early Mustangs because of the all red taillight lens. The amber lenses in the backup light housings solves both those problems.

Steve