Author Topic: 68 reproduction interior upper quarter panel  (Read 1647 times)

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
68 reproduction interior upper quarter panel
« on: August 13, 2022, 11:58:13 AM »
Was wondering if anyone has any first-hand knowledge of the 68 reproduction interior quarter panels that NPD sells as well as the trap door panels. Since I started removing and replacing the windshield and polishing the rear glass, I figured it is a good time to restore or replace some of the interior parts that look a little worn. My quarter vent panels are pitted and was wondering if it would be best to just replace them or replace the whole panels? It appears that to remove the original vents, it would require grinding off the studs that appear to ne peened over? Any insight would be appreciated. In addition, my trap door pannel has eight holes drilled for previous speaker installation. How are the reproduction trap door panels available?

Thanks for any help and insight as the comments are always appreciated.

Don
gt350bp

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 68 reproduction interior upper quarter panel
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2022, 09:28:06 AM »
Need to confirm the correct color for the interior fiberglass panels, vent panels and trim for a 68 GT 500KR with black deluxe interior. Not sure if it is to be black or the charcoal black metallic, like the metal dash. Is there a color # for the correct finish that anyone can share? All the panels are out and I'm prepping for paint.

In addition, I have orange grease pencil markings on my inner wheelhouse with a 1/4 F designation. Is that a common notation and what does it mean?

Thank you.

Don
gt350bp

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2022, 07:37:09 PM »
The reproduction panels are junk

I am aware of two, one is plastic with a plastic grille

The other is plastic with a metal grille

You can usually scavenge the grille if you are willing to tolerate the fact it will not fit your   fiberglass panel and it will require some rework to mount it

pmustang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2022, 08:57:31 PM »
The replacement grills are plastic which is a giant bummer. They have little
Screws with spacers to affix them in the original panels. From a visual standpoint they look much better than heavily pitted originals

68stangcjfb

• SAAC Member
  • Long Island New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2022, 06:06:09 AM »
The quality must have gone down since I bought a set of the plastic ones in 2011. I remember when I installed them and they looked and fit great. They still look great. Maybe I got lucky? I don't remember the brand name though.
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2022, 08:39:30 AM »
Yup. Should have known to check the Coralsnake for the interior paint colors! Duh!

I'm glad to say that I spent about an hour each on my original vents with fine steel wool and they cleaned up very well. Will paint and detail today. I think I will change the sliders in the vents, as I've heard they are actually very nice with the exception the Ford engineering number is not on the back.

Thanks for the info everyone and any idea what the 1/4 F designation means on my inner wheelhouse?

Don
gt350bp
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 11:44:43 AM by gt350bp »

papa scoops

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2022, 02:22:05 PM »
charcoal met. is the color. just looked at mine. original

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2022, 10:00:02 AM »
Anyone looking for a nice set of original interior vents for a 67/68, there is a set on Daytona Craig's List. Looks like they are in the New Smyrna Beach area. Looks like they may have been taken apart at some point. Asking price is $400 for the pair.

Don
gt350bp