News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

What is she?

Started by hafunkhouser, June 03, 2018, 12:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hafunkhouser

Good Morning All,

I landed a wonderful find in what appears to be a Shelby chassis from the continuance line, but I am having trouble proving it.  Any recommendations on where I can look.  The Shelby American tag inside the engine compartment is worn, so I cannot read the stamp anymore.  She's a beauty regardless, but I want to make sure my insurance matches her worth. 

Thanks!

Heidi

and yes... a car girl!

hafunkhouser

For more details, she has a VIN of MI0364109C061386 if that helps and was assembled in obviously 1986.  The original owner was in New Mexico and literally pieced her together from here and there.  This was not a true "kit".  Any help is appreciated.  Since I have taken custody of her, her engine was overhauled since they did piece it together.  The engine year didn't match the crankshaft, and thus a harmonic balancer was required.  I have also added new headers, custom exhaust, push rods/guides and generally cleaned her up with a little paint touch up from careless owners  >:(.

I would add pics, but the site is no longer supporting photos.

Thanks again!

Heidi

KR Convertible

Heidi,

Welcome to the forum.  It sounds like you are describing a continuation series Cobra.  The VIN should start with CSX and then a 4 digit number. The first digit will tell you what series it is.  Does your title list the VIN as a CSX number?  Where are you located?  Do you only have a chassis?  Is the body made of aluminum or fiberglass?  I am not an expert on continuation Cobras, but willing to try and help.

KR Convertible

I must have just missed your second post.  Is that VIN on a state issued tag or a manufacturers tag?

To post pictures, you have to add them to your gallery first.  It requires some extra steps and takes a little practice.  If you want to send them to me, I can post them for you.  I will be offline shortly, but if you get them to me in the next 15 minutes or so, I'll take care of it.

KR Convertible

hafunkhouser

How do I get a photo in here... might help a little

But to answer your questions, the VIN appears to be a Michigan VIN.  As for my location, I am just outside of Jacksonville.  I have had some of the guys that were racers back in the day from Lotus (friends with Shelby no less) look at the car and ask where the heck I found it, and not to let someone just take it for a FACTORY FIVE price.  The body is fiberglass, so clearly not an original.  But I will keep posting information.. someone out there has to know what I have here.

KR Convertible

KR Convertible

KR Convertible

KR Convertible

KR Convertible

She is a beauty.  I think the experts will need more pictures to identify the car.  The mfg tag, suspension, chassis and interior.  I will be in the garage from now until around 8 tonight.  You can send the pictures and I can post them tonight, os experiment yourself.  Try to keep the width of the pictures below 1000 to avoid having them too big.

Shelby_r_b

REALLY sharp!  I've always loved that color combo.
Nothing beats a classic!

hafunkhouser

Thank you all.. I will get some more pics in there later.  I am putting in a new coolant recovery bottle right now, so no need to show her with all the tools atop the air filter.  I have to drill a new set of holes to mount it correctly or it would be a five min job. :(

Heidi

Bill

Quote from: hafunkhouser on June 03, 2018, 12:28:48 PM
Good Morning All,

I landed a wonderful find in what appears to be a Shelby chassis from the continuance line, but I am having trouble proving it.  Any recommendations on where I can look.  The Shelby American tag inside the engine compartment is worn, so I cannot read the stamp anymore.  She's a beauty regardless, but I want to make sure my insurance matches her worth. 

Thanks!

Heidi

and yes... a car girl!

If the pictures are of the actual car, sorry, it's a kit car.

Put a smile on your face, get in, buckle up, turn the key, and enjoy.
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0