Author Topic: OE Autolite spark plugs  (Read 2936 times)

Karguy

• View Profile
OE Autolite spark plugs
« on: June 03, 2018, 07:09:22 PM »
Which Autolite spark plug would have come in an early 66 gt350 (289 hipo) from San Jose? Doubtful, but did SA change the Ford (Autolite) OE plugs?  I’m fairly certain they were the star style plugs but not sure what the heat range was.  I’ve seen the star style Autolites in a silver color plug,  is that the original style, or would it be black steel coating? How important is an item like a spark plug in Concourse division two?
 Thanks very much as always, Karl
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: OE Autolite spark plugs
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 09:04:17 PM »
Which Autolite spark plug would have come in an early 66 gt350 (289 hipo) from San Jose? Doubtful, but did SA change the Ford (Autolite) OE plugs?  I’m fairly certain they were the star style plugs but not sure what the heat range was.  I’ve seen the star style Autolites in a silver color plug,  is that the original style, or would it be black steel coating? How important is an item like a spark plug in Concourse division two?
 Thanks very much as always, Karl
BF 32 star marked Autolite plug is what was used from the factory. The finish was like a gun blueing look.A small deduction may be noted if a judge catches it. On a very well done car something like this stands out more. Not so much on a car with with many mistakes.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 09:07:02 PM »
Bob,  do you mean for Thoroughbred Div I only?  That wouldn't apply for Div II?
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 09:09:44 PM »
A small deduction may be noted if a judge catches it. On a very well done car something like this stands out more. Not so much on a car with with many mistakes.

Or another way to explain it is that a car with many things that need correcting the judges have run out of room to notate the observation or are tired of deducting points and have chosen to focus on the bigger details this time around ;)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Karguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 10:23:11 PM »
Got it, thank you gentlemen, always appreciate the help. Karl
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 12:40:02 AM »
The Autolite plug should have a star marking on it in the same way we expect the Goodyear tire to have bluestreak marking on the otherwise correct size tire in DIV II. There are good reproductions of the tires that can be used in DIV II but not any reproductions of the star sparkplugs that I'm aware of. The tires are in your face so they are hard to miss. Not so much with the sparkplugs covered by the sparkplug wire boots .     
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 12:45:44 AM »
I suppose another example is that a CAR bure TER  fuel pump with a button top is expected in DIV II vs Carter marked fuelpump without the button top. There are other examples.

Karguy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 12:52:02 AM »
Bob, that certainly makes a lot of sense from a judging point of view, thanks. Will a judge in Division 2 ever request that the owner pull a spark plug boot or remove the air filter to check dates on the carburetor? Will they look at the points and condenser to see if they are Autolite etc.?  I assume that these items would only matter in division one, does that sound correct?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 01:23:40 AM »
Bob, that certainly makes a lot of sense from a judging point of view, thanks. Will a judge in Division 2 ever request that the owner pull a spark plug boot or remove the air filter to check dates on the carburetor? Will they look at the points and condenser to see if they are Autolite etc.?  I assume that these items would only matter in division one, does that sound correct?
It depends on the judge. The plugs you can typically see the star under the boot one at least depending on how the plug is clocked so I have never thought or needed to ask. We can see  the detail needed to judge the carb with the air cleaner on at least for 65-68. Since date codes are not relevant in DIV II that issue should not be a concern .  Asking to have the air cleaner removed is one of the most common things in that regard to have done. You are not obligated to remove it. Most comply if requested to. If you don't it just comes off as you wanting to hide something. Given that most entrants are proud of their cars condition (reason entered in concours) the request is seldom if ever turned down. I have never considered to ask someone to remove a distributor cap in DIV I or DIV II . A set of good Ford OEM points , appropriate looking OEM condenser , and appropriate looking black Ford OEM rotor should be under the cap of a DIV II car. Only original assemblyline type items used for the DIV I car.  If I ever find a car that is that close to perfection I may have to re consider asking to look under the cap.   

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 03:24:09 AM »
Good info Bob and others. I think I am aiming for Division II. Been a lengthy project.
Cheers
6S373
6S1276

Karguy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 09:44:35 AM »
 Thanks Bob, the help is much appreciated. I promise the day will come when I sort through the majority of all these things and will not have to ask a million questions.
Karl
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 09:55:17 AM by Karguy »

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 12:08:09 PM »

A judge should never ask an owner to pull a plug boot to check.  If they do ask  , politely decline to do so.  Judges arent allowed to touch cars or parts during the judging process in  judging of Concours, unrestored and Premiere Classes.  If you cant see something during the normal judging process then the car gets the benefit of the doubt
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 10:09:42 PM »
Good to know Jim. Thanks
6S373
6S1276