News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Grill Paint

Started by Dunerider777, June 04, 2018, 09:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunerider777

I wanted to get recommendations for paint to restore the grill on my 66 gt350H. I would like to get as close to original shade and sheen as I can. My grill is so badly weathered that I need some input. Thank you.

GT350Lad

Not easy to do mate. I tried a few years back. Didn't work super well and I ended up getting a NOS GRILLE.  A few guys on here have posted excellent results on the old forum and may chime in.
Good luck

6S373
6S1276

deathsled

As far as I can tell try flat black and when dried use acetate and a cloth to remove the paint on the leading edge of the grill bars to show the shiny metal. I believe that is what SA did during production (the acetate part and not the painting which I figure came already painted from Ford.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

jk66gt350

It was a while ago, but pretty sure I used some thin pin stripe tape across the front face after cleaning it up, and then sprayed the grill flat black.  Peeled off the pin stripe tape after I was done and it has looked great ever since. 

GT350Lad

I might have another go at mine!
6S373
6S1276

kram350

I don't know the correct shade of black, I used the old stand-by, Krylon 1613 semi flat.
As to masking, I use regular masking tape, an 1" wide to cover a few fins and then run a razor blade along each fin and removed the waste. That way the masked width is exactly the width of the fin edge. Paint and remove the tape. Good Luck