Author Topic: Ford Experimental -Concept Vehicles  (Read 7417 times)

68krrrr

• SoCal Upland
    • View Profile
Re: Ford Experimental -Concept Vehicles
« Reply #195 on: September 09, 2020, 10:32:31 PM »
Was this actually a thing
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
  • original posts more than McDonalds over 1 billlion
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 10, 2020, 09:10:22 AM »
Was this actually a thing

Definitely a thing....lol
These cars are meant to be driven so enjoy the hell out of all of it. Not just the look of it when its all cleanCS

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.It's jolted by every pebble on the road

Florida S.A.A.C Love All-Serve All, Take Time To Be Kind

I have a UNGOLD car

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 10, 2020, 09:11:58 AM »

1958 La Galaxie

Ford worked its way through many contorted schools of styling such as the Z-back roof (in the 1957 La Galaxie). It went on to become increasingly unhinged as it proposed a nuclear - powered dream car called the Nucleon in 1958, a gyroscopically controlled two-wheeled car called the Gyron in 1961, a three-wheeled flying car called the Volante the same - ear and a vast six - wheeler called the Seattle-ite in 1962.

It should not be surprising that, after that lot. Fordís design team and the pubic had something of a dream-car hangover, and Dearbornís output of show specials petered out in the 1960s.

A portion of the 1958 Ford exhibit was set-up as a Ford Motor Company design studio. The full-size, non-drivable La Galaxie styling study was a center piece, surrounded by several 3/8 scale Ford dream cars. These smaller models included names like "La Tosca", which was a radio controlled toy; the atomic-powered, jet-style "Nucleon" and a sports car titled '"DePaolo."

These cars are meant to be driven so enjoy the hell out of all of it. Not just the look of it when its all cleanCS

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have a UNGOLD car

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 10, 2020, 10:20:40 AM »
68krrrr, it existed, I have that issue of Car & Driver, need to unearth it. It was bodied by Intermeccanica (Italian company)

That one later fell into private hands, I believe...photo included. I'm not sure if it exists today ?

Also offered by a Dutch company, not sure if this is the original car, or if they were able to produce them ? ?

Mike

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 10, 2020, 10:25:35 AM »

The factory Ford Mustang wagon is a fabled creation. The story goes that in 1966 Italian coach builder Intermeccanica built a Mustang station wagon for advertiser Barney Clark and designer Bob Cumberford which showed up in many car magazines of the day. Supposedly Ford had a Mustang wagon in design stages around the same time but scrapped the program shortly after the Intermeccania cars appeared. The Intermeccania cars are often mistaken for a factory concept.

68krrrr, it existed, I have that issue of Car & Driver, need to unearth it. It was bodied by Intermeccanica (Italian company)

That one later fell into private hands, I believe...photo included. I'm not sure if it exists today ?

Also offered by a Dutch company, not sure if this is the original car, or if they were able to produce them ? ?

Mike

I have a UNGOLD car

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 10, 2020, 10:30:10 AM »
Tony, thanks for the added info !

Staying with concept wagons for the moment, there was this.

Mike

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 10, 2020, 10:35:12 AM »
Agree with you like we previously stated:

Supposedly Ford had a Mustang wagon in design stages around the same time but scrapped the program shortly after the Intermeccania cars appeared.

FYI

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2008/10/06/lost-and-found-overflow-mustang-station-wagon-fact-or-fiction

I have a UNGOLD car

Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 10, 2020, 11:38:32 AM »
Saw a Mustang wagon at Hot August Nights, a few years ago. I think the man said he worked for Ford and he helped build it. Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 10, 2020, 05:22:24 PM »
The front of La Galaxie looks similar to the rear of a '61-63 Bullet Bird. 

The rear of the Mustang wagon styling buck (10-28-66 bottom photo) looks similar to a Vega Kammback.
Current:
1968 GT500KR owner since 1982 (now running Shelby aluminum 427 S-O)
Kirkham Cobra 427

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 23, 2020, 09:41:38 AM »
Saw a Mustang wagon at Hot August Nights, a few years ago. I think the man said he worked for Ford and he helped build it. Ron

Could be the lost one

I have a UNGOLD car

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 23, 2020, 09:43:15 AM »
1958 Volante

In 1958, Ford built several 3/8-scale concept car models, including the Volante, which supposedly could use three fan motors to levitate from a parking place and take to the air. But the most amazing of these models was the Nucleon. What may have looked like a Continental kit sitting on the large and flat rear deck was the cover for a small nuclear reactor that would power the car through the Atomic Age.

I have a UNGOLD car