Author Topic: Shelbys, Mustangs and Fords in Movies, TV or Print  (Read 78935 times)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Shelbys, Mustangs and Fords in Movies or TV
« Reply #210 on: April 12, 2020, 07:58:53 PM »
The 1969 Mercury Cougar XR-7 is one of the car appears in the 1969 James Bond Film “On Her Majesty’s Secret Service”

In fact it was Carroll Shelby prepared Mercury Cougar XR-7 with 428 Cobra Jet engine (335 HP conservatively rated, more like 360-370 HP) with Ram-Air. Carroll Shelby built 3 Cougars not for the public, they were actually built to appear in the 007 movie. One was an extremely rare Shelby prepped Cougar and used by him personally for awhile! One of these 1969 Mercury Cougar XR-7 was blown up during filming and one is in England.
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 13, 2020, 09:03:45 AM »
Death Proof

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

dangcarnut

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 13, 2020, 11:46:35 AM »
What about Elvis Presley's movie Spin Out, he drove a Cobra and the mock race had 2 or 3 in it

John

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 13, 2020, 11:51:31 AM »
What about Elvis Presley's movie Spin Out, he drove a Cobra and the mock race had 2 or 3 in it

John

Yes, Ned has the story on that car. I seem to remember it was a Comp Car and leased from Shelby for the movie? I don't remember the CSX on that one though?

I think some of the race scenes were actual film that was just spliced into the backround?

Lots of 289 cars that look familiar to the West Coast at the time?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 13, 2020, 12:42:37 PM »
The 1969 Mercury Cougar XR-7 is one of the car appears in the 1969 James Bond Film “On Her Majesty’s Secret Service”

In fact it was Carroll Shelby prepared Mercury Cougar XR-7 with 428 Cobra Jet engine (335 HP conservatively rated, more like 360-370 HP) with Ram-Air. Carroll Shelby built 3 Cougars not for the public, they were actually built to appear in the 007 movie. One was an extremely rare Shelby prepped Cougar and used by him personally for awhile! One of these 1969 Mercury Cougar XR-7 was blown up during filming and one is in England.

I'm not sure about any Shelby connections to the three R code XR-7 Cougar convertibles used in the Bond film. By '68/'69 I'm not sure the who/what/where of any modifications or why they would have been needed in the first place.

Two 428 Cobra Jet Ram Air XR-7 convertibles were ordered for the film on the 19th of September 1968. It is speculated that when one of the Cougars was badly damaged in the race scene the third CJ Cougar was ordered.

CCOA knows the VINs for all three Cougars. The damaged Cougar was thought to be scrapped, but evidence may have been found that it was for sale in the UK in 1971. One of the Cougars was purchased by the Ian Fleming Foundation and is in their collection. And the third one was undergoing a restoration in England last I heard.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 13, 2020, 04:49:25 PM »
FYI

1969 "On Her Majesty’s Secret Service"/ 1969 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - Best Movie Cars
https://bestmoviecars.com/1969-on-her-majestys-secret-service-1969-mercury-cougar-xr-7/

The 1969 Mercury Cougar XR-7 is one of the car appears in the 1969 James Bond Film “On Her Majesty’s Secret Service”

I'm not sure about any Shelby connections to the three R code XR-7 Cougar convertibles used in the Bond film. By '68/'69 I'm not sure the who/what/where of any modifications or why they would have been needed in the first place.

Two 428 Cobra Jet Ram Air XR-7 convertibles were ordered for the film on the 19th of September 1968. It is speculated that when one of the Cougars was badly damaged in the race scene the third CJ Cougar was ordered.

CCOA knows the VINs for all three Cougars. The damaged Cougar was thought to be scrapped, but evidence may have been found that it was for sale in the UK in 1971. One of the Cougars was purchased by the Ian Fleming Foundation and is in their collection. And the third one was undergoing a restoration in England last I heard.

- Phillip

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 13, 2020, 04:51:07 PM »
Stang in Goldfinger

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 13, 2020, 05:44:38 PM »
I think the above image was a fairly recent (celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the film, IIRC) European car magazine retrospect about the shooting locations of the classic scene.   

The original Mustang didn't have rally lights in the grille, nor parking lights that illuminate with the headlights.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 05:47:51 PM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

joephil

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 13, 2020, 05:53:50 PM »
I think the above image was a fairly recent (celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the film, IIRC) European car magazine retrospect about the shooting locations of the classic scene.   

The original Mustang didn't have rally lights in the grille, nor parking lights that illuminate with the headlights.

+1

cf:  http://www.ponysite.de/goldfinger_conv.htm

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 13, 2020, 05:55:02 PM »
Hope this works ? ad for the '69 AMC AMX, brief appearance of a Cobra ? ? in the first few frames. at the end it looks like they have

taken the windshield out of the car for a clearer shot, this is really funny  ;)

Mike

https://www.facebook.com/RoadandTrack/videos/1969-amc-amx-tv-commercial-on-track/10156105074771091/

you have to unmute on the right.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 05:57:14 PM by honker »

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 13, 2020, 05:59:23 PM »
FYI

1969 "On Her Majesty’s Secret Service"/ 1969 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - Best Movie Cars
https://bestmoviecars.com/1969-on-her-majestys-secret-service-1969-mercury-cougar-xr-7/

- Phillip

Bad information

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 14, 2020, 07:43:35 AM »
Have sent them a notice to cease and desist

FYI

- Phillip

Bad information

- Phillip

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 14, 2020, 07:44:45 AM »
Catch me if you can

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 14, 2020, 09:39:58 AM »
Starman

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 27, 2020, 08:37:52 AM »
American Graffiti

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy