News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Boss302 windage tray on a 289

Started by bhoulis, June 07, 2018, 02:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhoulis

Going through a 289 I put together many years ago that has a B302 windage tray set-up. What are the correct grade, length and washer configuration for Boss302 windage tray mounting bolts. Have the correct main cap bolts with 5/16-24 tapped holes. Originally assembled with some parts store Grade 5, 3/4" long, with split locks and flat washers.  The Monroe book says 35-40 foot lbs. Got up to 30ft-lbs but and it just didn't feel right so I figured better to make sure I have the right hardware. Seems a little on the heavy side. What say those who with experience in these matters? Thanks. Brian

johnsshelby

All hardware has a torque value for its size.  the chart can be found on-line.  I use the Windage tray withy no problems. Any doubts, use Mil hardware or drill heads for safety wire.

shelbydoug

I used one also on my original 302 using a stock Boss 302 oil pan. That's what that windage tray is intended to be used with.

If you go to another type of pan, you no longer use it, you use what the pan manufacturer supplies.

The original Ford bolts were marked as grade 8 bolts.

I don't have pictures of that set up. I changed that out long ago and went to a high capacity pan which no longer uses it.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

sg66

Quote from: johnsshelby on September 22, 2018, 07:09:42 PM
All hardware has a torque value for its size.  the chart can be found on-line.  I use the Windage tray withy no problems. Any doubts, use Mil hardware or drill heads for safety wire.
This ^

You can also add some red loctite to the windage tray attaching bolts (not the mains) as an alternative to safety wire

texas swede

I have Boss 302 windage trays in both my Shelbys with 289 HiPo and Cobra oil pans.
Original bolt setup.
Texas Swede

427heaven

If you want to turn the screws up on a small block I highly recommend this upgrade, I have been using them for the past 40 years. If you run your car with an occasional 5k rpm blast its not necessary your engine will do just fine without it. Good Luck!