News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1970 CA Emissions

Started by anghelrestorations, August 26, 2018, 09:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anghelrestorations

Do we know if the Shelby's that were sold in CA in 1970 had the CA emissions packages added on them?  Anyone here have an original CA sold Shelby that can say one way or the other? 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Bob Gaines

Quote from: anghelrestorations on August 26, 2018, 09:26:06 PM
Do we know if the Shelby's that were sold in CA in 1970 had the CA emissions packages added on them?  Anyone here have an original CA sold Shelby that can say one way or the other?
Yes I have seen some original CA emission 70 Shelby. Spec Ed has seen a lot more. What a pain that is on a car that wasn't born that way.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Yes and have pictures of them  ;)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

anghelrestorations

Ok...so we are saying that Ford had to go back and retrofit the 70 Shelby's to add all that and change the gas tank etc to meet the CA regulations?  Thats alot of extra work on a completed car to get all that done. 
Marcus Anghel

J_Speegle

Yes and that meant that there were parts and practices that were different between the Mustangs built and prepared for California and the converted Shelbys

Few unrestored examples remain with the system intact
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

anghelrestorations

Ok.  Im putting something together now that shows all the different parts and pieces of the CA emissions systems for those who havent seen it before or have these cars.  Will include reference to the 70 Shelbys now as well....
Marcus Anghel

6770shelby

I own 2121 it was sold new in San Diego. It has the evaporative emission system in it. When I restored the car the emissions system was a challenge to understand. I can state that it differs from the production system in that the vapor line was cut into pieces and their routing was different. My assumption is that this was done in order to avoid pulling the engine and transmission. Also different is the mounting bracket for the expansion tank was not welded to the trunk floor like the production installation was. Self tapping screws were used. Also different is the mounting for the antenna. The expansion tank occupies the space that the antenna normally occupies. The antenna must be angled back to clear the tank. I believe the bottom is secured by tywraps. I have pictures if you want them.

anghelrestorations

6770 Shelby....Yes, pictures would be great.  I am in the middle of writing an article that explains what the system is and showing the different parts and pieces so your Shelby information would be great to add in. 

Marcus
marcus@anghelrestorations.com
Marcus Anghel