Author Topic: Presentation by the Simeone Museum on NEW details on CSX2287!!! But to hear it..  (Read 1460 times)

Cobrask8

• View Profile
You have to come to the North East Regional Meet and be part of the weekend event!

Harry Hurst, the curator of the Simeone Museum, will be our keynote speaker Saturday night as part of our annual North East Regional Shelby Meet. He has a new presentation with many new and untold bits about CSX2287, as well as speaking abour Dr. Fred and his passion, and we will be his first time out, so it's new for everyone.

So, it's a week away, to hear this, you have to register pronto!!! The rest of the weekend will be great as well, a super tour, car show on Sunday!

Otherwise, you will miss a very special evening.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 08:46:02 PM by Cobrask8 »

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
I wonder if they will finally speak the truth about it having a fresh street engine in it when Jim Russell (owner of Russkit slotcars) bought it ($4,500). Or that he had Tony Nancy redo the interior and had show quality bodywork and paint done on it. Spector bought it (1967) from Russell and painted the cars history on the door with house paint. His attorneys told him to get rid of it and he sold it to his body guard (said to be for $1,000). Bodyguard left it to his daughter. She truly had mental problems and over the years many had tracked her down to make offers. She'd entertain some and at one point someone put a Laguna Beach house into escrow for her. She backed out on all offers. We first made an offer to her at her home. When we returned a week later she had moved but the new tenant told us where she worked. We went there and she opened the conversation with "if you don't leave right now I'll call the cops" - we left and told perspective east coast buyer he could go himself next time.
After her suicide her mother sold the car to the Dr. She did not have the right to sell it. The daughter have given the title a bill of sale listing it as a gift and the key to the storage place to a male friend. He went a week or so later and found the car gone. He filed a stolen car report. The mother had already stashed the money with other relatives so the Dr. had no recourse but to sue someone with no money. But a deal was worked out with the boyfriend (said to be $2,000,000) for the title and a release of any other claim. Total cost to the Dr. said to be 6.5 million. Spectre also tried to claim ownership of the car from his prison cell but that went nowhere since the title had been transferred to the bodyguard.
PS - the current patina is due to years of storage in uncontrolled climate conditions - not Bonneville salt or European racing.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 01:21:16 AM by 98SVT - was 06GT »
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Cobrask8

• View Profile
Yes, the Post SAI history of the car. Alot of that was disclosed when the car was found, and all the hooplah just after. I'm told Harry has more secretive info!

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Yes, the Post SAI history of the car. Alot of that was disclosed when the car was found, and all the hooplah just after. I'm told Harry has more secretive info!
The "unrestored" race car story the museum put out was BS. How he located and bought the car story was BS. Spector owned the car less than a year. The bodyguard was too big to drive it so it ended up in storage. 2 or 3 garages and then Loooooong term storage in the Fullerton storage facility. The fact that it still has the race tires on the car from when Jim Russell sold it is proof there aren't many driving stories to be told.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless