Author Topic: gt500 KR barn find  (Read 20720 times)

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: gt500 KR barn find
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2018, 10:20:30 PM »
The funny part is that NO ONE asked for anyone opinion on what was correct or incorrect. I wenrt thru all the post and there was not a single statement like, "what do you guys think of this find??  "What is incorrect or correct"

Yet, we still get those here why are picking apart this persons amazing find.

I think you are seeing this the wrong way.  This is a forum dedicated to Shelby's with experts in attendance that judge any car brought to the table for correctness.  A lot of these guys are ones on the show field and they use every opportunity to help others with correct factory components and markings.  They also look out for anyone considering buying a car just like they did when you asked for information, remember?   These are not a bunch of guys with a case of beer oohing and aahing over their first Shelby.  Most of the people here own at least one or have owned several over the years.  You immediately jumped to "they are criticizing my amazing find". 

I promise, you and anyone looking to get a deal would use ever bit of their honest evaluations to drive the price down (pointing out all the non-correct things) against its current owner.       
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2018, 10:41:50 PM »
Barn finds bring out the best and worst in people. Just depends whos at the barn door first. First guy is usually the happy one.

Rodster-500

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2018, 10:53:58 PM »
The funny part is that NO ONE asked for anyone opinion on what was correct or incorrect. I wenrt thru all the post and there was not a single statement like, "what do you guys think of this find??  "What is incorrect or correct"

Yet, we still get those here why are picking apart this persons amazing find.

You posted pictures, asked for information, mentioned you were looking to buy it and posted links, all in the 68 Shelby section of the SAAC forums...... what did you expect?  Silence?  Seriously...  >:(

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2018, 06:05:07 AM »
Correct is correct...period...Why someone would be offended to hear that something is incorrect(especially on someone else’s car is beyond me)..Personally I appreciate it when somebody “picks apart”my car.....Knowledge =Good.It is called learning.You stop learning when you die(at least if you’re curious like me)mia due euro

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2018, 08:05:10 AM »
Im looking for any past info on it actually. What dealer is 16D017? Has anyone heard of this KR one before? I am looking to buy it actually

The original comments about the description of the car weren't even directed at you personally. They were directed at an online author.

I seem to recall a guy called Shane and a few others....followed the same pattern. They got upset when the truth was stated, because it was the nicest unrestored car they had ever seen and didnt like the feedback they got. Well, some people have a lot more experience and knowledge....

One of two things is at work here...either you were bragging because because you actually knew about the car and the forum collectively was not as impressed as you or...

...you genuinely wanted info and when you couldnt step up, you became offended. Its okay, weve all been there. We are here to help.

I dont like calling out people on a personal basis, but since you wont let it go and continue to say the car is being picked apart, I feel its necessary. If you want help, the people here are the best in the world. If you want to continue to be offended, that is your choice.

This forum has never allowed people without facts, to make false claims about these cars.

That includes descriptions about condition. Those things have a way of attaching themselves to the cars.

I will continue to defend 1968s and represent them accurately, just like I do on my 1968 Shelby website or when I wrote parts of the Shelby American World Registry.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 08:37:17 AM by Coralsnake »

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2018, 08:32:03 AM »
Im looking for any past info on it actually. What dealer is 16D017? Has anyone heard of this KR one before? I am looking to buy it actually

I seem to recall a guy called Shane and a few others....followed the same pattern. They were upset because it was the nicest unrestored car they had ever seen and didnt like the feedback they got. Well, some people have a lot more experience and knowledge....

One of two things is at work here...either you were bragging because because you actually knew about the car and the forum collectively was not as impressed as you or...

...you genuinely wanted info and when you couldnt step up, you became offended. Its okay, weve all been there. We are here to help.

I dont like calling out people on a personal basis, but since you wont let it go and continue to say the car is  being picked apart, I feel its necessary.

This forum has never allowed people without facts, to make false claims about these cars.

That includes descriptions about condition. Those things have a way of sttaching themselves to the cars.

I will continue to defend 1968s and represent them accurately, just like I do on my 1968 Shelby website or when I wrote parts of the Shelby American World Registry.

÷ 1 very well expressed
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Topblissgt

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2018, 09:10:28 AM »
Im not offended in any way. I know what is correct and what is not before anyone added their 2 cents here. I was hoping the new owner would get positive feedback not 'debbie downer' comments. Maybe a 'high five' and a congrats to the new proud owner. Thats all.

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2018, 09:52:46 AM »
Topblissgt,

It's clear that you feel people are picking the car apart and that there should have been more support for the car when you posted / discussed it.  And, its also clear (to be honest) that you won't see people's responses any other way.  I understand, but I don't agree.

The heart of the issue (IMO) is that there were claims made about the car that are inaccurate - mainly, the claim that the car was so original. 

As has been mentioned previously, this forum is run by and supported by enthusiasts of all levels when it comes to knowledge.  I will happily admit that I am a novice, but I'm learning from the people of this forum everyday. 

Here's what I've found to be true about this forum: if you come in thinking you know what's what without facts, you'll get torched, as most of the people of this forum are not only passionate about these cars, but they are also EXTREMELY knowledgeable.  What I also know (from my very first posts on the old forum) is that representing things about a car as they are is ALSO supported.  Let me share a quick example.

I have an early 1967 Shelby GT350, and during the initial restoration, I made the decision to install some "not correct" parts on my car (an aftermarket aluminum radiator, aftermarket dash, etc.).  I posted pictures of the process online, and feared the worst.  The reaction? "That's awesome!  Drive the wheels off that thing!"  NO ONE criticized what I was doing with the car, as I never came across as misrepresenting what the car was or what I was doing to it.

Fast forward to after the restoration was complete, and I attended SAAC 42 last year (my first SAAC event).  I had been in touch with 2 extremely knowledgeable people regarding 1967 Shelbys (Bob Gaines and JD).  Bob offered to have me assist with judging at SAAC 42, as I was eager to learn more, so I did.  That experience not only taught me a ton about the 67s, but it also changed my mind on what I wanted to do next with my car.  Literally, I came back from that event and started a multi-month process of returning my car to concours status.  Again, I posted pictures of the process, and not once did anyone give me a heard time, even though I kept a few things non-original (who doesn't love a great sounding aftermarket exhaust!  ;)).

Here's the point - the forum (in aggregate) supports all cars (my experience).  What the forum does not support are misleading claims.  Again, had the car not been touted as being incredibly original, there would have been high fives all around.  However, the people of this forum will not allow someone to share misleading information or make bold claims that don't align.

I don't know if this helps at all, but this is my experience. And, BTW - these are the same people who will answer questions via phone at 1am about the the correct engine bay overspray and the soft edge needed towards the firewall side of the front fenders (thanks, JD!)

In the end, don't miss out on the blessing of what this forum can be for you or the current owner.  And, in the words of a friend "It's time to move on".

Just my 2 cents...
Nothing beats a classic!

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2018, 12:35:42 PM »

The original comments about the description of the car weren't even directed at you personally. They were directed at an online author.

I seem to recall a guy called Shane and a few others....followed the same pattern. They got upset when the truth was stated, because it was the nicest unrestored car they had ever seen and didnt like the feedback they got. Well, some people have a lot more experience and knowledge....

I dont like calling out people on a personal basis, but since you wont let it go and continue to say the car is being picked apart, I feel its necessary. If you want help, the people here are the best in the world. If you want to continue to be offended, that is your choice.

That includes descriptions about condition. Those things have a way of attaching themselves to the cars.

Amen!!! I have learned so much here and will continue to learn so much more here ;)

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2018, 02:20:57 PM »
I read things differently... It appeared he had found a BARN FIND-LEFT FOR DEAD-FORGOTTEN what ever you want to call it. Where else will someone find a car in that condition left for dead for decades. Cool find for anyone, it is mostly there and mostly not screwed with. Now if someone wants to get their hairs bristled by a newbie posting things to get in the mix here I suggest we all lighten up and not make them run away like was done in previous years. Case in point... I have been racing,restoring,showing and enjoying these cars for the past 40 years. A few years ago I was selling an original engine out of my 66 GT 350. I posted some pictures of it and was met with half witted, hair brained,knucklehead answers like... How come the engine is painted black,it has a Fram filter on it, The dual quad intake is not original. No SH--  SHELBY non experts I put those items on there. Point is it was an ORIGINAL engine with matching numbers. If I didn't have leather for skin and lots of scar tissue I would have left like many did NEVER to return. Lets keep this ever shrinking family of SHELBY lovers strong and try real hard not to run anyone else off. ;)

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2018, 02:23:56 PM »
I don’t think we are “AGAINST”anything here except misinformation...If that is allowed in it becomes a slippery slope.People can then refer to things as fact(like that there were a bunch o factory installed 427s in 67 for example)because they saw it here and that muddies the truth.Then ,as a practical matter,how do you correctly restore a car to factory specs?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2018, 05:38:43 PM »
I read things differently... It appeared he had found a BARN FIND-LEFT FOR DEAD-FORGOTTEN what ever you want to call it. Where else will someone find a car in that condition left for dead for decades. Cool find for anyone, it is mostly there and mostly not screwed with. Now if someone wants to get their hairs bristled by a newbie posting things to get in the mix here I suggest we all lighten up and not make them run away like was done in previous years. Case in point... I have been racing,restoring,showing and enjoying these cars for the past 40 years. A few years ago I was selling an original engine out of my 66 GT 350. I posted some pictures of it and was met with half witted, hair brained,knucklehead answers like... How come the engine is painted black,it has a Fram filter on it, The dual quad intake is not original. No SH--  SHELBY non experts I put those items on there. Point is it was an ORIGINAL engine with matching numbers. If I didn't have leather for skin and lots of scar tissue I would have left like many did NEVER to return. Lets keep this ever shrinking family of SHELBY lovers strong and try real hard not to run anyone else off. ;)
Since Pete Disher AKA Coralsnake is the one at the forefront of the debate over the description hype about how well preserved that has been posted on these many pages I can only assume you are referring to him with your engine No SH--  SHELBY non experts example . I don't know about you but I consider Peter Disher a expert on 68 Shelby's. His credentials support that observation.  He also gives informed expert opinions. Respectfully your example does not apply here given the person you are referring to.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2018, 06:11:32 PM »
Respectfully you got it wrong Bob- You are pulling in an old thread to this new one. I believe Pete is smart enough to know that Fram orange filter is not an ORIGINAL filter to my 66 or the engine color etc. Point being I was selling an ORIGINAL engine with the correct numbers, that is how it was represented no one cares what color it was painted or what filter it had on it etc. This lends itself to the present thread that someone found a barn find Shelby all he wanted was to share that he found it without a dissertation that it has a couple of infractions for judging. I as well as most on here appreciate your help as well as others, where we should draw a line is when someone that truly couldn't find his A-- with both hands we know who they are remark about ignorant statements like the proverbial it has a CAUTION FAN STICKER :'( or it has a FRAM filter on it, if they have no real educational input or real world experience they should keep it zipped because they are just blowin hot air.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2018, 11:44:49 PM »
Respectfully you got it wrong Bob- You are pulling in an old thread to this new one. I believe Pete is smart enough to know that Fram orange filter is not an ORIGINAL filter to my 66 or the engine color etc. Point being I was selling an ORIGINAL engine with the correct numbers, that is how it was represented no one cares what color it was painted or what filter it had on it etc. This lends itself to the present thread that someone found a barn find Shelby all he wanted was to share that he found it without a dissertation that it has a couple of infractions for judging. I as well as most on here appreciate your help as well as others, where we should draw a line is when someone that truly couldn't find his A-- with both hands we know who they are remark about ignorant statements like the proverbial it has a CAUTION FAN STICKER :'( or it has a FRAM filter on it, if they have no real educational input or real world experience they should keep it zipped because they are just blowin hot air.
Excuse me for belaboring the point but you were the one making the comparison by offering a example how would I think you were talking about someone else otherwise? Pete was the one listing all of the items not original or items that had been changed form original not someone else. If you were not trying to label someone as a  No SH--  SHELBY non experts then you should not have used that example. In reading I didn't see anyone else wading in with other perceived incorrect items other then Pete so you can understand why I perceived your labels pertained to him.  Peter Disher HAS real educational input as well as real world experience and I hope he continues to speak up when unrealistic comments are expressed so that the uninformed are helped to become informed.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Stubee

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2018, 05:31:08 AM »
I nervously jump in on this thread. Awesome find, with some of the pointers here the path to “restore” is probably more apparent. Lots of good info that is just waiting to be tapped to get that car looking even better. That you lowered pictures is a mastery I have yet to consistently acquire.

On that note, a pal of mine also found a 68 GT500 KR same color and 4 speed numbers matching from front to back including the carb...literally a barn find stored away.

Funny thing was when he messaged me with his find my immediate response was for him to contact the Coralsnake ASAP and proceed very carefully relying on Pete’s knowledge. Not sure if he did that yet.

Now I don’t know Pete well but I did need some advice on perfecting a 69 project and he was very good at helping me correct some of the items on the car even if it was just placement of bolts and color marking coordination.

So, very cool find. Awesome knowledge here and really helps to focus one’s efforts so you don’t have to guess what is most correct and waste time and money.

Probably even a few of those rare parts needed here to get that project going. In my short few years in this business those parts are getting rarer. What will be impossible to replace are the experts here when they are gone. Unless they passed on the knowledge to the family it will be gone forever.

So a little tribute to all the Shelby folks here I guess. From barn finder to Shelby Quality Restoration Minders.

I’m just getting old I guess.

Stubee