News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Seat foam buns

Started by Tor, June 08, 2018, 07:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tor

My seat in my 70 Shelby is a little worn down, the original seat upholstery seems ok,I was thinking about changing the seat foam, my question is: who makes the best seat foams?, any recommendations.

Tor

SChatman

I've done several seats, and in my experience once you get the covers off you might find that it's not just the seat buns. I've taken some seats apart where the cover itself look ok but the foam in the pleats (rolled areas) had disintegrated letting those rolls collapse. I also found that what I thought were actual comfort weave inserts in replacement Upolstery was in fact really a stamped vinyl, TMI says that original woven vinyl Comfort Weave not been manufactured for years.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: SChatman on June 09, 2018, 10:46:22 PM
I've done several seats, and in my experience once you get the covers off you might find that it's not just the seat buns. I've taken some seats apart where the cover itself look ok but the foam in the pleats (rolled areas) had disintegrated letting those rolls collapse. I also found that what I thought were actual comfort weave inserts in replacement Upolstery was in fact really a stamped vinyl, TMI says that original woven vinyl Comfort Weave not been manufactured for years.
If you look closely at the insert material it is easy enough to tell if original or not. If you can't tell by looking closely at it you can identify if original or not by trying to blow through the insert material. If it is original comfort weave that is designed to breath you can blow through it. If you can't blow through the insert material it is a solid piece of vinyl that has had a pattern stamped into it.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby