News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Switch over from large letter/small letter tires and washer bag/bottle

Started by athun25, June 11, 2018, 09:16:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

athun25

I am sure some of you 67 gurus will know this.  When did the style of lettering change ( approximately date or serial number) on the Goodyear tires from large to small (or vice versa)?

Like wise, when did they switch from the window washer bag to the plastic bottle? Thanks for any info!

JD

The washer fluid reservoir style change (Ford) was mid-March '67. Also, the single to twin windshield washer nozzle change (Ford) occurred mid-April '67.

The large-letter to small-letter tire was near car #260-ish.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

athun25

Richstang

There is a tire memo from Shelby American noting "approximately 230 cars" would have the large letter tires before the switch to the small letters would take place.

That would "approximately" place the switch around mid December from San Jose and early January at Shelby American for the build completion dates.

I write "approximately" because I don't believe their is any definitive answer, at least nothing yet.

JD,
Thanks for the added note on the single to twin washer nozzle. That is something new to me
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

athun25

Thanks.  My car is #595, so should put me well into the small letter tires.  I have had so many 67 mustangs I get confused which had the washer bag or the bottle, and of course have found no pre-restoration shots of my car to show that show which it had.  ( the restoration took as very long time, and was completed over ten years ago, and I just can't remember) but I will check the build date now that I have your info.

Rex

I need to buy a set of Goodyear repro  tires for my 70 Boss 302 that being F60 15's I believe. What should a midrange 67 GT 500 take for repros? Thanks in advance.

JD

Quote from: Rex on June 11, 2018, 09:18:50 PM
I need to buy a set of Goodyear repro  tires for my 70 Boss 302 that being F60 15's I believe. What should a midrange 67 GT 500 take for repros? Thanks in advance.

Small letter Goodyear Speedway's like the OP (Original Poster of this thread) E70's

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Richstang

Quote from: athun25 on June 11, 2018, 05:42:12 PM
Thanks.  My car is #595, so should put me well into the small letter tires.  I have had so many 67 mustangs I get confused which had the washer bag or the bottle, and of course have found no pre-restoration shots of my car to show that show which it had.  ( the restoration took as very long time, and was completed over ten years ago, and I just can't remember) but I will check the build date now that I have your info.

#0595 is a sharp GT500! There are some nice photos of it at various shows in CA such as SAAC 38, Knott's Berry Farms, CS Tribute shows.
It great that you show it and enjoy it so much!
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

I have a mid-March car, and I have the reservoir bag.

I have an extra set of wheels with large-letters on it.  I like the way they look better, and the original tires would not have lasted very long.  By the time you would have burned through the small lettered tires, you probably would not be able to buy them any longer and would be forced to buy large letters in '68....just a thought. 

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 1690 on June 11, 2018, 11:59:10 PM
I have a mid-March car, and I have the reservoir bag.

I have an extra set of wheels with large-letters on it.  I like the way they look better, and the original tires would not have lasted very long.  By the time you would have burned through the small lettered tires, you probably would not be able to buy them any longer and would be forced to buy large letters in '68....just a thought.
FYI the small letter speedways were used well into 68 production. I believe the large letter Speedway that were used in 68 were only used for a short period of time before switching over to the blackwall E 70 15. Run the large letter because you like them but don't do it because of evidence to support that they would have been available for replacement.  That theory is thin at best IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby