Author Topic: The Continuations continue Now Daytona Coupes  (Read 9822 times)

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Re: The Continuations continue Now Daytona Coupes
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 04:46:46 PM »
Brock's car has an LS.

Exactly.

I don't have any ill will towards Chevys. Love a lot of Corvettes. Using a GM motor in what is for all intents and purposes a Ford?    >:(

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 06:41:05 PM »
There is a guy who put a Hemi in a Pantera and more recently a Chevy, whichever the 600hp supercharged one is, in a Pantera.

In both cases the modification is so extreme, it's difficult to recognize the car as a Pantera.

In any case, using the Chevy is like putting tits on the middle linebacker of the NY Giants. Basically, something you can show off in the locker room and take lots of pictures with but as far as function goes, you may as well race a donkey?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 06:44:47 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

CSX2259

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 07:17:26 PM »
Brock’s Superformance Coupes used the LS Chevy engines. His new venture is building exact copies of the 1960s SAI team Daytona Coupes. To comply with FIA certification the Daytona’s have to be exact replicas of the original, engines, transmissions, differential, aluminum body, brakes and carburation. Basically the 1960s Daytona but built today.

csxsfm

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2018, 08:18:46 PM »
Aerovault is part of the Deal.  Tell me, why do I need an aero trailer when I would tow it with a Brick 2-Ton in front?

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2018, 07:23:50 AM »
The "continuation" MkIV's from Holman I saw at SAAC 36 in VA, were going for $950,000 at the time.

I'm sure that has something to do with Brock's thought process on the "racing legal coupes".

I don't know what the price is on them but after experiencing the "you're not our kind of people" reaction from Holman I wondering what the Continuation Cobra Coupes are priced at? Do any of you know the price?

Maybe it isn't written down anywhere and they just whisper in your ear?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2018, 11:03:31 AM »
Brock’s Superformance Coupes used the LS Chevy engines. His new venture is building exact copies of the 1960s SAI team Daytona Coupes. To comply with FIA certification the Daytona’s have to be exact replicas of the original, engines, transmissions, differential, aluminum body, brakes and carburation. Basically the 1960s Daytona but built today.
.      But leather seats,POWER steering,power windows ,etc. are o.k.?Interesting idea of a “replica”...Think I’ll stick with my 67.It is EXACTLY what it looks like it is(and it’s one hell of a lot cheaper!)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2018, 02:41:16 PM »
I would have voted for the Coupe to be the '68 Cobra rather then the Lone Star. It certainly is as good as the Viper Coupe and considering the influence that it has on that car, I'd think superior?

An aluminum skin is really impractical though but a/c, power everything and a/c would be just a plus in my book.

I had heard that Carroll didn't care for the car BUT the source of that might be Pete Brock? That if true kinda' puts a crimp the "visionary" compliment to CS?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2018, 03:57:14 PM »
I would have voted for the Coupe to be the '68 Cobra rather then the Lone Star. It certainly is as good as the Viper Coupe and considering the influence that it has on that car, I'd think superior?

An aluminum skin is really impractical though but a/c, power everything and a/c would be just a plus in my book.

I had heard that Carroll didn't care for the car BUT the source of that might be Pete Brock? That if true kinda' puts a crimp the "visionary" compliment to CS?
Yeah maybe if the a/c is on an electric compressor so as not to rob power but I think power steering would sacrifice road feel and probably overkill on a presumably light car(unless you plan to do a lot of parallel parking ,etc.)IMHO

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2018, 05:27:42 PM »

Yeah maybe if the a/c is on an electric compressor so as not to rob power but I think power steering would sacrifice road feel and probably overkill on a presumably light car(unless you plan to do a lot of parallel parking ,etc.)IMHO

Lots of race cars are using power steering now and an electric motor power steering is quite common.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2018, 10:15:45 PM »
Ford with a Chevy in it eh?Another real original move.I think I need to find a vette to put a boss motor in to start “evening” things up in the universe :o
You mean AC with a Ford in it. 1st Coupe body was US built on English chassis next 5 were hammered out by Italians and had errors from Brock's original. Brock's current car is exactly how he wanted the originals. As far as the Chevy debate goes let's never forget that CS went to Chevy first and didn't consider Ford until GM quit taking his calls. SA has been offering the 9000 Series Coupe for some time now.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2018, 06:40:52 PM »
Ford with a Chevy in it eh?Another real original move.I think I need to find a vette to put a boss motor in to start “evening” things up in the universe :o
You mean AC with a Ford in it. 1st Coupe body was US built on English chassis next 5 were hammered out by Italians and had errors from Brock's original. Brock's current car is exactly how he wanted the originals. As far as the Chevy debate goes let's never forget that CS went to Chevy first and didn't consider Ford until GM quit taking his calls. SA has been offering the 9000 Series Coupe for some time now.

It was a ploy to get to Ioccoca. He heard Shelby was talking about Chevy's and when he heard that Carroll was talking to that Russian guy Duntov or Zuntov or WTF he called him self he told his aid, "we had better give that guy some engines before he comes around and bites us in the ass".   ;)

Good thing to. I'd hate to see all of this aluminum turn into that crappy fiberglass toilet seat stuff GM used?   :o
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2018, 11:23:58 PM »

It was a ploy to get to Ioccoca. He heard Shelby was talking about Chevy's and when he heard that Carroll was talking to that Russian guy Duntov or Zuntov or WTF he called him self he told his aid, "we had better give that guy some engines before he comes around and bites us in the ass".   ;)

Good thing to. I'd hate to see all of this aluminum turn into that crappy fiberglass toilet seat stuff GM used?   :o

I think Ioccoca's actual quote was "give that guy a couple engines and get him outta here."
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2018, 11:40:22 PM »
I'm sure there's more than one official story/memory/urban legend, but CS said to me that Iacocca's remark was "Give him what he wants before he bites somebody."

Kopec should know for sure what the real deal was. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 01:14:18 AM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2018, 12:03:03 AM »

Many years ago I drove Pete Brock to the Denver airport after one of the first Boulder museum Christmas party . Myself and a friend asked all kinds of questions given the celebrity we had in the car. Besides answering all of our questions he was excited to volunteer his new Coupe story. He did say not to mention it for the time being which had us busting at the seams to tell others because we didn't(we felt special ;D ). The Coupe was still in the design phase and not ready for sale yet but Pete Brock said CS was furious when he ran it by him what he was doing. CS felt that the design belonged to him and Shelby American Pete Brock said. Pete Brock said he was going to do it anyway. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

TransamEd

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2018, 03:59:09 AM »
After researching the background with the FIA Daytona Coupe team over here...the 2 projects shape up a bit more

- This linked one - just now published - for modernized versions by Legendary Supercars/BRE
http://performance.ford.com/enthusiasts/media-room/20180/06/new-shelby-daytona-coupes.html

- The other for FIA approved exact recreated copies with the few related required safety improvements like side impact protection - based on individually 3D-scanned recreations and made in Europe. PBX2299_01 was the first, PBX2287_1 is the next.
Article about these FIA racers soon to appear on Ford Performance as well.