Author Topic: The Continuations continue Now Daytona Coupes  (Read 9821 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: The Continuations continue Now Daytona Coupes
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2018, 06:47:35 AM »
I would have voted for the Coupe to be the '68 Cobra rather then the Lone Star. It certainly is as good as the Viper Coupe and considering the influence that it has on that car, I'd think superior?

An aluminum skin is really impractical though but a/c, power everything and a/c would be just a plus in my book.

I had heard that Carroll didn't care for the car BUT the source of that might be Pete Brock? That if true kinda' puts a crimp the "visionary" compliment to CS?
Many years ago I drove Pete Brock to the Denver airport after one of the first Boulder museum Christmas party . Myself and a friend asked all kinds of questions given the celebrity we had in the car. Besides answering all of our questions he was excited to volunteer his new Coupe story. He did say not to mention it for the time being which had us busting at the seams to tell others because we didn't(we felt special ;D ). The Coupe was still in the design phase and not ready for sale yet but Pete Brock said CS was furious when he ran it by him what he was doing. CS felt that the design belonged to him and Shelby American Pete Brock said. Pete Brock said he was going to do it anyway.

Sure. Everything was his intellectual property. Just like the "Registry". One of the lawyers must have introduced that term to him? I guess Brock just had his "thumbprints" all over it? Sounds familiar? He didn't even pay for the thing. Ford did.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2018, 07:02:27 AM »
Savvy businessman or shyster?Tomatoe/Tomato...

;D

robert campbell

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2018, 08:38:23 PM »
When I win the lottery (never bought a ticket) I am going to put a SOHC 427 Ford motor in a 1963 Corvette Split window.  Yes, I am tired of brand X motors in Fords.

Rob

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2018, 08:45:58 PM »
^^^
or put a Coyote 5.0 motor in it...
That will really get the GM crowd worked up since all we hear about these days is the LS motor getting dropped into just about everything with 4 wheels.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 09:33:59 PM by Richstang »
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2018, 08:53:17 PM »
When I win the lottery (never bought a ticket) I am going to put a SOHC 427 Ford motor in a 1963 Corvette Split window.  Yes, I am tired of brand X motors in Fords.

Rob

Better. Put it in a Grand Sport.  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2018, 10:21:20 PM »

Rob

^^^
or put a Coyote 5.0 motor in it...
That will really get the GM crowd worked up since all we hear about these days is the LS motor getting dropped into just about everything with 4 wheels.

Better. Put it in a Grand Sport.  ;)

Now we're talkin

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2018, 02:00:39 PM »
I would have voted for the Coupe to be the '68 Cobra rather then the Lone Star. ........
I had heard that Carroll didn't care for the car ............
Ever sat in or driven one of the original coupes? Cramped/hot/noisy/etc not something you'd expect to sell many of for street use.
CS bad mouthed the Coupe ("damn thing didn't work") when he was trying to (sue?) get Pete Brock from making any money on the replicas so he could again line his pockets for someone else's work.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Wedgeman

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2018, 02:56:55 PM »
+1..... ;D

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2018, 03:23:27 PM »
I would have voted for the Coupe to be the '68 Cobra rather then the Lone Star. ........
Ever sat in or driven one of the original coupes? Cramped/hot/noisy/etc not something you'd expect to sell many of for street use.
CS bad mouthed the Coupe ("damn thing didn't work") when he was trying to (sue?) get Pete Brock from making any money on the replicas so he could again line his pockets for someone else's work.

It's a Cobra with a roof. The criticism is redundent. Ever drive a "Shelby" without A/C? Very little difference. Want to talk about cramped? Ever sit in or drive a "40"?

My Pantera ain't exactly made for NBA or NFL players either.  ;)

Everything was money for ole' Shel'. He didn't want to bring any of the Cobras back from Europe. They were just used race cars no one wanted.

Who exactly was the intended target for the Lone Star? Actor Michael Dunn?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 07:03:13 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2018, 08:38:15 AM »
.   ALL Shelby’s have AC...They’re called windows... ;D

It's a Cobra with a roof. The criticism is redundent. Ever drive a "Shelby" without A/C? Very little difference. Want to talk about cramped? Ever sit in or drive a "40"?

My Pantera ain't exactly made for NBA or NFL players either.  ;)

Everything was money for ole' Shel'. He didn't want to bring any of the Cobras back from Europe. They were just used race cars no one wanted.

Who exactly was the intended target for the Lone Star? Actor Michael Dunn?