News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Fake '67 GT350 Convertible?

Started by 2cam, June 11, 2018, 06:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2cam

Alright, I apologize upfront for the really weird, suspect-sounding first post, but this past weekend I happened across a project '67 GT350 convertible. I wanted to put this out to the group to get your perspective and guidance.  The car has a Shelby American VIN tag under the hood on the driver's side fender.  Doing a bit of online research, it appears that the VIN on the tag matches up to what one would expect from a '67 Shelby VIN.  However, it's not within the VIN range (but very close to it - outside the upper range) stated on the Nevada SAAC website - http://www.nvsaac.com/Details/67_shelby_info.htm . That website states that the VIN range for '67 cars ran from 0001-3225.  The VIN on this car's plate is outside of that.  The VIN contains a "C" where the "F" should be for a fastback for the bodystyle. 

It's my understanding that there weren't any officially produced '67 GT350 convertibles.  Is that correct?  Is this a fake or possibly the real thing? 

I apologize for being an idiot on this and assume that it is probably a replica, but don't know enough about the intricacies of the Shelby VINs and production stats to be sure.  It seems like a lot of trouble for someone to go through to create a replica, but a plate is easy enough to make I guess.

Thanks for your guidance!

2cam

Coralsnake

Phoney, fake, not even for consideration.

Sounds like a great example of why people should be opposed to the misuse of these tags...

2cam

Quote from: Coralsnake on June 11, 2018, 06:06:14 PM

Sounds like a great example of why people should be opposed to the misuse of these tags...

Agreed!  I don't mind the Shelby clones floating around - especially the well-done ones (I'm in the Porsche community and we have the same thing with everyone wanting to build RS and RSR replicas), but putting a fake VIN plate on a car is crossing the line a bit too much.

2cam

Remove the tag and emblems and enjoy it as a cool Mustang.

Replica with a capital R...That doesn't mean it can't be a fun driver though!

2cam

It blows my mind that someone would go to all the trouble to so closely replicate an accurate Shelby VIN from 1967 with the serial number one number off from the published range (other than the "C" for convertible instead of "F" for fastback...). 

2cam

Kinda reminds me of the fiberglass cobra replicas that put aluminum sheeting in the trunk etc.Only fooling themselves but done right still fun drivers...

gt350cs

2cam,

You are right - clones are fine, but putting any kind of replica VIN plate, no matter what you put on it, is not good in my way of thinking. VIN plates are VIN plates not something to play with.

Quote from: gt350cs on June 12, 2018, 01:28:15 PM
2cam,

You are right - clones are fine, but putting any kind of replica VIN plate, no matter what you put on it, is not good in my way of thinking. VIN plates are VIN plates not something to play with.
.  Yeah and in a worse case scenario it could result in your car being seized by the authorities.Is it worth that to you just to "play dress up"?Just a little food for thought IMHO.