News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Suspension Picture Thread

Started by Dalton, June 13, 2018, 10:39:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalton

I'm just starting a suspension picture thread for information purposes. We used to have a topic like this on the old site and I think it was beneficial. Also, I changed my coil springs and leaf springs last summer but I'm not extremely happy with the stance and handling.

Here's mine with 1967-70 Coil Springs 1" Drop Small Block and Eaton ML459 Leaf Springs..... I think. Not 100% on which leaf springs I put in.

I would like to tighten up the feel. I need to do the Shelby drop in the front, which should get the front closer to where I want it. I'd like it about an inch lower in the front.

The rear is pretty bouncy. I'm open to suggestions for improving the handling.

Ignore the incorrect side stripes and pinch weld!

Feel free to add any pictures with details.

JD

The stance you have now is close to correct, higher in the front than the rear, if you prefer lower in the front the 1" drop will do that.  This also does wonders for the handling.  (reference the '67's template and you'll need to re-align the front end, which you probably already know.)

The new rear springs will improve the handling and bouncy-ness of old over-arched springs, but yes it does get you a harder more abrupt ride over bumps & potholes.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Dalton

Quote from: JD on June 13, 2018, 02:02:34 PM
The stance you have now is close to correct, higher in the front than the rear, if you prefer lower in the front the 1" drop will do that.  This also does wonders for the handling.  (reference the '67's template and you'll need to re-align the front end, which you probably already know.)

The new rear springs will improve the handling and bouncy-ness of old-over ached spring but yes it does get you a harder more abrupt ride over bumps & potholes.

Thanks JD. I've already added those rear springs but I'm thinking about going with something a little firmer. I probably need to replace my shocks while I'm there. How about a 5 leaf spring?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Tusk on June 13, 2018, 02:07:36 PM
Quote from: JD on June 13, 2018, 02:02:34 PM

The new rear springs will improve the handling and bouncy-ness of old-over ached spring but yes it does get you a harder more abrupt ride over bumps & potholes.

Thanks JD. I've already added those rear springs but I'm thinking about going with something a little firmer. I probably need to replace my shocks while I'm there. How about a 5 leaf spring?
I would change shocks and put in some adjustable so that you can gauge the feel. Koni's come to mind because I assume you don't have the OEM adjustable. It would be prudent to do the shock change before changing leaf springs. FYI you can frequently buy used Koni's on ebay for about half the price of new. They seldom if ever wear out. Just my 2 cents.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JD

^^^ Yes, as Bob suggested do shocks, if you haven't already and set them to soft, then go from there.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Dalton

Thanks Bob and JD.

Should I go ahead and paint them orange and put the winged sticker on? I can't remember if our cars came with Koni's or Gabriel's originally.

Gabriel's ,Konis were "optional" I believe..

acman63

Quote from: Tusk on June 16, 2018, 10:41:23 AM
Thanks Bob and JD.

Should I go ahead and paint them orange and put the winged sticker on? I can't remember if our cars came with Koni's or Gabriel's originally.

They werent Gabriels!   Gabriel may have been the vendor but they were always Fomoco or Autolite logo
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Dalton

Quote from: acman63 on June 16, 2018, 03:18:51 PM
Thanks Bob and JD.

They werent Gabriels!   Gabriel may have been the vendor but they were always Fomoco or Autolite logo

Jim,

So the Koni's on your website are the ones I'm looking for?

My 67 GT 350 has the 1" drop A arms, 1" drop 620 coils, konis and an adjustable rear sway bar.  Although not original, drivability is much more enjoyable. Adding the Konis was the best single modification I have done.  Adjustable rear sway bar also really helped out in the rear.

Jon

http://wasaac.org/gallery/shelby/jonberhold67gt350.jpg

Thanks Bob and JD.

But manufactured by Gabriel correct?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 557 on June 16, 2018, 05:02:31 PM
Thanks Bob and JD.

But manufactured by Gabriel correct?
Yes ,as Jim  said Gabriel was the OEM to Ford. they should be referred to as Autolite adjustable . FYI there were some very early 67 cars that had FOMOCO adjustable or combinations of both given the transition from one to another..
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Were those shocks installed on the Ford assmebly line as part of the "high performance suspension"?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on June 16, 2018, 07:17:02 PM
Were those shocks installed on the Ford assmebly line as part of the "high performance suspension"?
Yes , on the Ford line because it was part of the "Competition Suspension" option.