Author Topic: NOS 67 GT500 intake you don't every day on Ebay  (Read 6340 times)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
NOS 67 GT500 intake you don't every day on Ebay
« on: June 13, 2018, 04:09:01 PM »
I have only seen a couple of these in all my years documenting details . https://www.ebay.com/itm/427-Shelby-Cobra-intake-system/263755659305
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: NOS 67 GT500 intake you don't every day on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 04:10:40 PM »
Feel free to help with the work of posting pictures and copy. ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 04:50:17 PM »

Brand new in the original box and wrapper 427 Shelby Mustang intake system,two four barrel,intake with dual feed log .Never opened NOS very rare piece of Ford history,perfect for that Shelby restoration you NEED THISStill has original 1969 newspapers for packing included.Excellent condition-no disappointments-probably not another one in the nation.Feel free to contact me for more pictures or info

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 06:20:55 PM »
I thought those carbs used the early fuel valves with a nut, a projecting stud with a screwdriver slot?

That is NOT the color of the aluminum casting that I would expect from back then although it resembles the more recent Blue Thunder manifold color?

Is there a "Pookie swindle" going on here?

The most expensive item in that box is the box.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 06:53:16 PM »
I thought those carbs used the early fuel valves with a nut, a projecting stud with a screwdriver slot?

That is NOT the color of the aluminum casting that I would expect from back then although it resembles the more recent Blue Thunder manifold color?

Is there a "Pookie swindle" going on here?

The most expensive item in that box is the box.
I respectfully disagree on the color of the aluminum. It is as I have seen them . I haven't seen many NOS sets like this but the ones I have looked like the picture.  Blue thunder intake will not have a FOMOCO trademark. The float valves are as they should be based on historic photos  IMO. There are other details that are different then current reissue carbs and accessories . There are some correct details that varied during production also. It looks legit to me.

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 07:29:09 PM »
I would have thought there would have been better packaging, this one must have "walked off".....

As the paper is from 69 I would be curious to know what the dates codes on the carbs are.

Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

George Schalk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 07:34:36 PM »
I sent the seller an email requesting pics of the carb tags and air horns so I could see what the date codes are.  I'll update this post as soon as they respond.

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 12:17:55 AM »
...you mean Brian Glover didn't find this first??? 

Brian - you're slack'n!!!  ;D
Nothing beats a classic!

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 02:14:14 AM »
Ha, I saw it Ruben, but way too rich for my blood even if I had the need for such a rare item!
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

DGSOH

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 04:17:36 AM »
...you mean Brian Glover didn't find this first??? 

Brian - you're slack'n!!!  ;D
Exactly what I was thinking :)

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 01:18:53 PM »

I would not find this coloration to be incorrect, as other components appear consistent with the claims made. The color of the aluminum, is based on the alloy itself of course, but influenced by the blasting media utilized post the casting process. The alloy & the blasting media utilized may remain constant, but the condition and purity of the media varies as the media is utilized in its' function of casting surface blending and general "clean-up"; this causing some minor variations in surface texture and color tint or shade presentation of the finished product. 

Also for consideration, this unit appears to have been protected from other environmental contaminants, such fuels, oils, greases, dirt, water & just plain oxidation, all of which decades later will influence the appearance, if only gradually, but will change ones impression of what may be "correct".   

And, as far as the "fuel valves", I am assuming you are referring to the needle & seat assy.? I believe you are referencing what is a two-part (stem w/ flat screwdriver slot & 9/16" wrenching brass hex-nut) product which is not of Holley production, but rather a "Jiffy" repair product (aka. after-market), and does seem to appear throughout the 1960's applications. 

Scott.

BTW. Is that a Ford "SK" number reference on the box?   :o    Hey Randy, isn't this your department?  ;D

« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 01:24:37 PM by pbf777 »

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 04:26:00 PM »
Ha, I saw it Ruben, but way too rich for my blood even if I had the need for such a rare item!

Brian, why do we have a "need" for these things, they serve a "need" they serve a "want"
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 05:06:07 PM »
It's really just a museum piece now. To valuable and too expensive to put it into use.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 06:59:17 PM »
I think the problem here is that although the NOS condition is rare, the actual parts aren't.  IMHO the seller is going to have a very hard time commanding the money they are looking for.  Don't get me wrong, a premium for sure but you would still have to break it apart and go through it. 
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 07:28:02 PM »
     This reminds me of an instance several years ago when a gun collector was exhibiting a Smith & Wesson Model 1955 (25-2) with wood presentation case, still in the sealed at the factory brown cardboard shipping box. Never opened! All one observed was a brown cardboard box, w/ brown paper tape sealing it shut, some printed nomenclature and exhibiting some weight in excess of that seen. And, the statement made was that the increased value implied would be lost if ever opened.   :o

Just seemed to me, to be to much to pay, for the opportunity to stare at brown cardboard!   ::)

Scott.