News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1967-68 Interior Sail Panel Vents

Started by BGlover67, May 22, 2018, 07:25:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BGlover67

What is everyone's experience with a) restoring/replating the pot metal vents?  b) installing a set of reproduction vents. 

Dealing with pot metal is never easy or simple, but are there any new non traditional options for chrome plating (Ceramic Chrome painting)?

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

roddster

Note: another item punched out by the "meltdown".

Well, to have the vents rechromed, the metal has to be removed from the large plastic interior panel that it is attached to.  And, like any other rechroming process, it is labor intensive - you pay the labor.
Badly pitted vents might as well be replaced with ones that have less pitting, because then there is less labor to repair (fill) the pits.  Yes, not unheard of spending $1200 for a pair of vents to be rechromed.
    I have also heard of folks replacing the metal ones with reproduction plastic vents.  I have not done this, but, have seen the results and it is very hard to tell the difference.  Depends on how deep your restoration needs to be.

Bossbill

I've also heard that the vents on the full (repop) panels are better than the plastic vents. You remove the vent from the full panel and insert into your original fiberglass panel.

Haven't done it (yet) myself.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

pmustang

I've used several sets of the internal chromed plastic ones
I am a regular owner, I don't know concourse details and am far from a perfectionist so this is a layman's opinion

They look good and look alot better than shagged originals but usually one side doesn't fit as well as the other.  I.E. the forward facing edge doesn't sit flush with its surround.