Author Topic: TULSA, Midwest Shelby Meet  (Read 14413 times)

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: TULSA, Midwest Shelby Meet
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2018, 09:55:05 PM »
Just for fun and entertainment a few pictures from over the past 4-5 years. Sorry for the focus on the earlier cars  :o

Judging

At the last day show in no particular order

As you can see - everything from restored through day 40  :o cars. Plenty of restomods and other Ford products represented there yearly
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2018, 11:07:45 PM »
Thanks Jeff,
We always hear rumblings about the Tulsa Shelby meet, but rarely get to see any of the classic Shelby's that were there.

Yes we've heard that allot related to the attendance at all of the Shelby shows - IMHO much more than what is seen at Mustang shows - attendance appears to be down and I think we all believe it should be more. Would never try and judge attendance of a show by the number of cars entered in the Concours judging since that has allot more outside factors that can cause ebbs and flows year to year. But the number of cars in the parking lot or at the popular vote is a better measurement.  Also repetitive shows (same time and place every year) have their own issues that can affect low turn out from year to year.

Didn't stay this year for the last day so can't comment on the turn out. Didn't even take a picture the whole weekend which may be a first.

But often it's part our fault since many of us are the ones not bringing the cars out.  Not to say there are not good excuses, not my job to say, but it's  a circle. Less owners bring cars, less people and owners that enjoy them attend.

I've noticed both the classic Shelby's and Mustang's numbers dwindle down at Carlisle's Ford Nationals for the last decade. The number of newer cars seem to be growing (this years forecasted all rain weekend doesn't count). I constantly hear of classic owners leaving them at home in favor of their modern versions.
By growing, I do mean more cars on display year after year. So the lack of classics just might just be a generational interest issue. Last year we saw a nice jump upwards with the '67 Shelby Anniversary. Their numbers multiplied greatly over other recent years. So a bit of planning and a push on special occasions helps. As you said, there's always multiple factors on the concours side for numbers.

One of the positives about the SAAC convention shifting locations every year is it draws out different owners who may not have shown their cars in recent years when it was too far away. Instead of the same cars showing up year after year the unknown new comers are what keeps it interesting. It even might push some of those locals (relatively) still in the restoration process to finish one up to share with everyone.

1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2018, 11:10:51 PM »
Great to see your random photos from recent years!

The lift must be a welcome feature for the judges lucky enough to have it for their class.

Love those Acapulco Blue ‘67’s.
(I’ll be digging through my photo file to try and ID that one.)

The 67 GTA with black steel wheels is a new one for me.
(I’m guessing that's an “as shipped” to the dealer appearance. I like it!

Day 40! That’s a good one.
I’d bet that white ’66 with the chin spoiler & front flares is more like a day 2555 (sometime in the 70's for sure)

Thanks again Jeff!

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2018, 11:35:57 PM »
Thanks for the pics, Jeff! Always appreciated!
Nothing beats a classic!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2018, 12:37:00 AM »
Great to see your random photos from recent years!

The lift must be a welcome feature for the judges lucky enough to have it for their class.

Love those Acapulco Blue ‘67’s.
(I’ll be digging through my photo file to try and ID that one.)

The 67 GTA with black steel wheels is a new one for me.
(I’m guessing that's an “as shipped” to the dealer appearance.
I like it!

Day 40! That’s a good one.
I’d bet that white ’66 with the chin spoiler & front flares is more like a day 2555 (sometime in the 70's for sure)

Thanks again Jeff!
That is a 15 inch base wheel because of the competition suspension package . It also got a special highspeed tire with the package.  FYI he has hubcaps on the other side. Hubcaps were optional.  That is a similar looking hubcap as Shelby except different center emblem. Those type hubcaps required a special extra long lugnut similar looking to the tenspoke or 69 Shelby lugnut. The lugnuts poke through the hubcap for more authentic "Mag" look. Jim C. make the special lugnuts on a limited basis now.  It also has the adjustable shocks and bigger swaybar. Very few Mustangs got the special competition suspension package in 67 that were not a Shelby.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 11:45:47 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Dizzy

• View Profile
Re: TULSA, Midwest Shelby Meet / 67 competition suspension
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2018, 07:54:28 AM »
For years I told people about the 15" wheels on 67 Mustangs with factory competition suspension and most just told me My memory was fuzzy. In 1967 I was 19 years old and working in Chicago at Burt Rose Ford as apprentice tech and doing a lot of pre-delivery prep work. Two 390 GT Mustangs came on same truck that had that package. One was a FULLY loaded,red convertible and the other a dark green fastback. On my normal test drive route I had the fastback way over 100 mph. 19 year olds are not too bright.I knew they were a very special vehicle and remember them today. The red convertible was purchased by one of the dealers most loyal customers and he kept it for years and modified it many times. I remember installing the T-Bird type wheel covers and thinking they were very weird compared to the factory 14" SS wheels most had.I can remember the RWL Firestone tires ,but can't be 100% sure if they said "Super Sports Special" or other wording. What was the original tire for that option?

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2018, 10:12:07 AM »
THANKS BOB!

I'm going to start a new thread on this Mustang "K" code with the Shelby "Competition Suspension Package".

So not to hi-jack this thread!

http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=2382.msg20458;topicseen#msg20458
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 10:37:14 AM by Richstang »

gt350cs

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2018, 10:18:06 AM »
Jeff,

Thanks for adding the pictures. No need to apologize for not having later pictures, there is plenty of room for every year. I am sure that most feel the same.

Brant

• SAAC Member
  • www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2018, 03:09:14 PM »
Brent was kind enough to share his pictures from this year's (2018) Tulsa Meet. 

Here are a few:

-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2018, 04:09:12 PM »
That looks like an amazing meet, I will try to attend it with 6S1078 next year  :).  Would love to see more pictures....
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2018, 04:23:47 PM »
Brant / Brent,

THANK YOU for posting photos from this years gathering. It seems there was a something for everyone in the early gen Shelby's and Boss's.
Those twin Brittany Blue Bronco's look cool too. Anyone know more about the Nightmist '67 with hubcaps?

Definitely would like too see more photos. (As before I'd be glad to post them if it helps)

Rich

Brant

• SAAC Member
  • www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2018, 06:17:48 PM »
Here is the link in Google Photos to all of Brent's photos:

Tulsa 2018
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2018, 12:24:20 AM »
Here is the link in Google Photos to all of Brent's photos:

Tulsa 2018

Awesome pics! I can’t wait to attend sometime soon.
Nothing beats a classic!

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2018, 09:15:11 AM »
Thanks for the link to even more photos of other cars. Very nice!

The 33K mile gray '87 Mustang GT hatch was a shocker among all these classics and Ford GTs. I like it, just surprised to see it in there with them.
That red 3000 series Cobra looks like the real deal, the other Cobra's not so much...

Thanks again for sharing!

alexgt350h

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2018, 04:43:34 PM »
Tulsa is always fun, but almost always "HOT", lots of cars to see, even on track at Hallett, and the local drag strip.
Richard of Gas Monkey fame was at the show on Sunday--- I'll leave off commits about that.

There were two real Cobras in the show, a 2000 series, and a 3000 series. The rest of the Cobras pictured were aftermarket of one make or the other.

The blue 67 with hubcaps and thermactor was in the #900 range. ( I know I should of paid attention to s/n).

The two Boss 9's belonged to Les Bauer of Gun Mfr. fame.

The white 65 pictured inside the lobby belonged to Craig Jackson.

But if you guys want to see lots of vintage Shelby autos, you need to attend the IN SAAC Spring Fling in May!

Brent