News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Is this story sent out by Oldtimer Australia, a dealer, right?

Started by HistoryBuff, November 30, 2022, 10:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HistoryBuff

The featured car for this month is our 1963 Shelby Cobra MK I 289.

It was in 1953 that the John Tojeiro designed AC Ace was first introduced. Powered by AC's proven two litre overhead cam straight-six 100 HP engine, this elegant aluminium bodied two seat sports racing car proved to be a huge success. It was soon joined by a coupe or hard top version called the Aceca. By the mid 1950's the AC power plant was seen as inadequate and by 1956 AC offered the car with the option of Bristol's two litre six cylinder engine with triple carburettors giving significantly improved performance. By 1961 Bristol had ceased to build their two litre six cylinder engine, creating a big problem for AC. For a very short period AC offered the 2.6-litre straight-six 'Ruddspeed' option. Basically, a Ford Zephyr engine adapted by Ken Rudd.

Around the same time American automotive icon Carroll Shelby needed a new platform to race and approached AC with the idea of installing a big American V8 engine in their AC Ace. Ford came to the party and agreed to supply their Windsor V8 engines for the car. The rest, as they say, is history and the Shelby Cobra went on to become a legend.

Shelby built 655 'small block' 260 & 289 'leaf spring' Cobras for the street and track between 1962 and 1964. 61 of these cars were built under licence by AC Cars in the UK and sold as AC Cobras, for non American markets. Shelby introduced the 'big block' Cobra 427 in 1965.

Oldtimer Australia is delighted to offer for sale this fabulous 1963 Shelby Cobra MK I 289.

According to the World Registry of Cobras & GT40s, this particular car was the 105th of 126 Mk I Cobras built and one of only 51 Mk I Cobras fitted with the 289 engine. It was originally finished in blue with a black interior. The car was delivered new on the 4th January 1963 to Shelby America and then shipped to New York on the 4th April 1963 on board the 'SS Vlist". It was invoiced to Coventry Motors, Walnut Creek, California on the 6th May 1963.

The Mk I Cobras were all fitted with worm and sector type steering. Many of these early cars had their steering upgraded to a rack and pinion type steering, which was standard on the Mk II Cobras. This particular example has had the steering rack upgrade at some stage.

Highlights:

- Documented in the World Registry of Cobras & GT40s
- The 105th of 126 Mk I Cobras built and one of only 51 Mk I Cobras with the 289 engine.
- Delivered new on the 4th January 1963 to Shelby America.
- Invoiced to Coventry Motors, Walnut Creek, California on the 6th May 1963.
- Originally finished in blue with a black interior.
- Upgraded to later rack and pinion steering at some stage.
- Purchased by Oldtimer Australia and imported into Brisbane in 2003.
- Acquired by the current owner in 2010.

The Shelby Cobra is one of the most desirable and sought-after world market collector cars. Currently there are only a handful of these amazing cars in Australia. Given the current taxes you would have to pay to import one, it is not very likely that that number will increase. As such, here is a unique opportunity to acquire a rare 1963 Shelby Cobra MK I 289.

This fabulous car is ready for its next custodian to enjoy, show, take to the track or use for Sunday drives.

Price $1,649,950.

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Bill

You missed:
"The AC story is a fascinating one. In 1903 a 20hp four cylinder motor vehicle, known as a Weller, was built. It was the brainchild of John Weller, a talented engineer and designer, and John Portwine, a butcher and talented businessman who financed the venture. The Weller never made it into production and the duo decided to focus their attention on building a cheap and reliable three wheeled commercial vehicle. The Auto-Carrier as it was known was powered by a single cylinder 631cc engine, it had chain drive from the engine to the single rear wheel and it had tiller steering. The Auto-Carrier proved to be more efficient than the traditional horse and cart of the day and the vehicle was a resounding success.

In 1907 a passenger version of the Auto-Carrier was built and it was called the Sociable. The Company was renamed Auto Carriers Limited in 1911 and had to relocate to new bigger facilities in Thames Ditton in Surrey. The company went from strength to strength and whilst the First World War temporarily derailed the car business it was post war that really defined AC. Weller designed a six cylinder alloy overhead cam engine that, with ongoing development, remained in production from 1919 to 1963.

AC continued to grow and it built some wonderful cars throughout the 1920's, 1930's and 1940's. During this time AC's cars achieved a number of significant time and distance records as well as race results."

Same goes for the author credit:
https://www.oldtimeraustralia.com/wp_car_dealer/1963-shelby-cobra-mk-i-289-csx-2105/

CSX2105

Bill

Quote from: HistoryBuff on November 30, 2022, 10:49:39 AM

The featured car for this month is our 1963 Shelby Cobra MK I 289.

It was in 1953 that the John Tojeiro designed AC Ace was first introduced. Powered by AC's proven two litre overhead cam straight-six 100 HP engine, this elegant aluminium bodied two seat sports racing car proved to be a huge success. It was soon joined by a coupe or hard top version called the Aceca. By the mid 1950's the AC power plant was seen as inadequate and by 1956 AC offered the car with the option of Bristol's two litre six cylinder engine with triple carburettors giving significantly improved performance. By 1961 Bristol had ceased to build their two litre six cylinder engine, creating a big problem for AC. For a very short period AC offered the 2.6-litre straight-six 'Ruddspeed' option. Basically, a Ford Zephyr engine adapted by Ken Rudd.

Around the same time American automotive icon Carroll Shelby needed a new platform to race and approached AC with the idea of installing a big American V8 engine in their AC Ace. Ford came to the party and agreed to supply their Windsor V8 engines for the car. The rest, as they say, is history and the Shelby Cobra went on to become a legend.

Shelby built 655 'small block' 260 & 289 'leaf spring' Cobras for the street and track between 1962 and 1964. 61 of these cars were built under licence by AC Cars in the UK and sold as AC Cobras, for non American markets. Shelby introduced the 'big block' Cobra 427 in 1965.

Oldtimer Australia is delighted to offer for sale this fabulous 1963 Shelby Cobra MK I 289.

According to the World Registry of Cobras & GT40s, this particular car was the 105th of 126 Mk I Cobras built and one of only 51 Mk I Cobras fitted with the 289 engine. It was originally finished in blue with a black interior. The car was delivered new on the 4th January 1963 to Shelby America and then shipped to New York on the 4th April 1963 on board the 'SS Vlist". It was invoiced to Coventry Motors, Walnut Creek, California on the 6th May 1963.

The Mk I Cobras were all fitted with worm and sector type steering. Many of these early cars had their steering upgraded to a rack and pinion type steering, which was standard on the Mk II Cobras. This particular example has had the steering rack upgrade at some stage.

Highlights:

- Documented in the World Registry of Cobras & GT40s
- The 105th of 126 Mk I Cobras built and one of only 51 Mk I Cobras with the 289 engine.
- Delivered new on the 4th January 1963 to Shelby America.
- Invoiced to Coventry Motors, Walnut Creek, California on the 6th May 1963.
- Originally finished in blue with a black interior.
- Upgraded to later rack and pinion steering at some stage.
- Purchased by Oldtimer Australia and imported into Brisbane in 2003.
- Acquired by the current owner in 2010.

The Shelby Cobra is one of the most desirable and sought-after world market collector cars. Currently there are only a handful of these amazing cars in Australia. Given the current taxes you would have to pay to import one, it is not very likely that that number will increase. As such, here is a unique opportunity to acquire a rare 1963 Shelby Cobra MK I 289.

This fabulous car is ready for its next custodian to enjoy, show, take to the track or use for Sunday drives.

Price $1,649,950.
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0