Author Topic: California License Plate Service  (Read 2453 times)

SHELB66

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
California License Plate Service
« on: December 01, 2022, 02:59:05 PM »
I used this gentleman's services to have my white, personalized Calif. license plates switched over to the black/yellow style plates from the 60's.  This color style plate was not available from the DMV when I originally ordered my plates. It is now available and is known as a Legacy plate.  They are nice plates but the font for CALIFORNIA is not quite the same as the originals.  I decided to have mine redone using this service and am very, very pleased with the results.  The font is correct and they look just as if they've been repainted.  Coloring is spot on.  The work is outstanding!  Fortunately my plates were in excellent condition to begin with which makes the process easier.  He is unable to do any out-of-state plates due to lack of appropriate software.  Just thought I would pass this on in case anyone with Calif. plates is interested.  One can contact him for info regarding his services.

Craig R.
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: California License Plate Service
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 03:14:28 PM »
Really cool.  :)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 03:25:49 PM »
An innovative alternative.  Is the California raised or flat on the plate, cannot tell from the picture?

Also, I thought I read somewhere long ago that is was illegal to alter a California license plate. 
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2022, 03:33:34 PM »
outstanding work !
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 05:00:16 PM »
An innovative alternative.  Is the California raised or flat on the plate, cannot tell from the picture?

Since it a simple vinyl wrap that area is flat like the base license plate

Also, I thought I read somewhere long ago that is was illegal to alter a California license plate.

Yes it is. Would guess that the biz makes the claim or warning (if not they should) that the plates are for display purposes only
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 05:13:48 PM »

Since it a simple vinyl wrap that area is flat like the base license plate

Yes it is. Would guess that the biz makes the claim or warning (if not they should) that the plates are for display purposes only

I thought so.   That is why I have not had my blue and yellow personalized plates painted black and yellow.  The authorities probably would confiscate them.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2022, 08:54:05 PM »
Alter/cover/repaint/etc all carry a fine. The judges figure any altered plate was done for criminal purposes and fine accordingly. "Restoration" of plates is legal - that said to use YOM (year of manufacture) plate you need to submit the plates to DMV. They will authenticate that you have 2, they are real, the correct year for the car, in a condition they approve of, a number not currently in use and the right colors. My 29 Model A came with a pair of restored plates. I registered the car with them and still have about 60 days on the 90 DMV said approval would take. These things are so heavy I think they affect the mileage - not the current thin aluminum stampings.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 08:56:05 PM by 98SVT - was 06GT »
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2022, 10:49:46 PM »
^^^ Brett, I agree. My experiences have been the same.  But, I've also had good luck with having vintage-style repro plates made (FOR DISPLAY PURPOSES ONLY) and getting them "DISPLAYED" on my car.

The key is to get the repros made from original type (heavy) steel plates...not aluminum...for your DISPLAY.  Much more accurate. 

The right era plates just look so good on a classic car.  Just another detail touch for those of us who like such things.

Because I grew up in CA,  my memory is full of esoterica like CA license number sequences, and the year that they would've been issued.  I always want to be sure the ones I'm buying would've been in the range of plates distributed by the DMV for the year/month my car was originally sold.

For instance:  The CA DMV doesn't seem to care if you put a ZZZ plate on a 1964 car, which would've originally had M, N or O as the first letter in its sequence, but I wouldn't do it.  I can spot those mistakes from a mile away.  Makes the "perfect" car look weirdly off.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 10:53:38 PM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2022, 11:02:59 PM »
^^^ Brett, I agree. My experiences have been the same.  But, I've also had good luck with having vintage-style repro plates made (FOR DISPLAY PURPOSES ONLY) and getting them "DISPLAYED" on my car.

The key is to get the repros made from original type (heavy) steel plates...not aluminum...for your DISPLAY.  Much more accurate. 

The right era plates just look so good on a classic car.  Just another detail touch for those of us who like such things.

Because I grew up in CA,  my memory is full of esoterica like CA license number sequences, and the year that they would've been issued.  I always want to be sure the ones I'm buying would've been in the range of plates distributed by the DMV for the year/month my car was originally sold.

For instance:  The CA DMV doesn't seem to care if you put a ZZZ plate on a 1964 car, which would've originally had M, N or O as the first letter in its sequence, but I wouldn't do it.  I can spot those mistakes from a mile away.  Makes the "perfect" car look weirdly off.
It is my understanding that in the past that it is illegal to make license plates out of steel and is one of the main reasons they are made of aluminum. Has that changed?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2022, 02:17:06 AM »
Hi Bob,
I never heard anything about it being illegal to use steel.  CA changed from steel to aluminum sometime in the early '80s, IIRC. 

I do know that anyone wanting to have an authentic set of vintage CA plates made FOR DISPLAY ONLY should use steel for the 1963-69 black-and-yellow plates, and the 1970-?? six-digit blue-and-yellow plates.

I seem to recall that it was when the seven-digit CA plates came out (1979?) that they changed to aluminum, but I could be off on that date.
Van
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 02:19:50 AM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

pchmotoho

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2022, 10:09:20 AM »
I used this gentleman's services to have my white, personalized Calif. license plates switched over to the black/yellow style plates from the 60's.  This color style plate was not available from the DMV when I originally ordered my plates. It is now available and is known as a Legacy plate.  They are nice plates but the font for CALIFORNIA is not quite the same as the originals.  I decided to have mine redone using this service and am very, very pleased with the results.  The font is correct and they look just as if they've been repainted.  Coloring is spot on.  The work is outstanding!  Fortunately my plates were in excellent condition to begin with which makes the process easier.  He is unable to do any out-of-state plates due to lack of appropriate software.  Just thought I would pass this on in case anyone with Calif. plates is interested.  One can contact him for info regarding his services.

Craig R.

on the newer plates California is spelled out about 3/4 inch longer than it was on the original black plates.  The first versions of the blue on yellow plates also had a shorter version of California as well.  It didn't last long and was changed over to the length that you will now see on the Legacy plates. 

TA Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2022, 08:05:11 PM »
Mine are like the SHELBY ones above.
I had them done about 23/25 years ago. If I remember correctly it was done through an ad in Hemmings.I think the place was in Florida but I would have to look through my paper work to verify.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.