Author Topic: cross member @ fog lights with dome or flat?  (Read 4426 times)

pied viper 041

• View Profile
cross member @ fog lights with dome or flat?
« on: June 16, 2018, 08:42:03 PM »
On a KR with oil cooler is the dome @ fog lights correct as original on the metal cross member?

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: cross member @ fog lights with dome or flat?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 08:50:07 PM »
Can you please clarify? 

The metal crossmember or shelf is the same on all cars. The big block cars do have two extra metal tabs added to hang the oil cooler

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:54:56 PM by Coralsnake »

pied viper 041

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 09:14:49 PM »
I am referring to the two 5/8" holes in the metal cross member where the fog lights go through. The 2 holes on my KR  have a dome or hill around the 2 holes is that original ? I see the 2 tabs you are talking about they have 3 spot welds on each tab.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 09:25:33 PM »
There is no “dome” on the shelf, the fiberglass has to lay flat on top of it. The fog light has a square base that sits on the fiberglass

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/FogLight
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:27:26 PM by Coralsnake »

pied viper 041

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 12:28:18 PM »
Pete maybe the word "dome" is the wrong word. Maybe 1/8" hill or ridge fits. Look in your records of pictures of KR oil coolers. I sent you a picture of the cross member with what I am trying to explain years ago.   Thanks Pete     

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 08:35:03 PM »
It might be easier for you to send me a new picture

pied viper 041

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 02:08:06 PM »
Pete did you get the picture that you requested that I sent you @ your email Hotmail?                                                                         thanks Jay

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 02:52:01 PM »
Nope

Coralsnake68@hotmail.com

pied viper 041

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 05:02:18 PM »
Pete I posted my cross member picture in the gallery on the forum. Look in the gallery and see if you can see it. I could not send the picture to the post. Thanks J ames

67_1183

• SAAC Member
  • Southern Oregon - SAAC Member since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 05:05:10 PM »

Is that it?
2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 05:26:52 PM »
That area should be flat. The fiberglass lays on top of it.

pied viper 041

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 10:58:44 AM »
That's it 67-1183 thank you.  Pete I have owned my KR for 50 years same cross member fog lights etc. You say they should be flat the fact is mine are not. That should interest you because you are a Shelby researcher and a good one I must say. Things change in 50 years but my cross member has not.  Thanks James

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 12:21:57 PM »
That's it 67-1183 thank you.  Pete I have owned my KR for 50 years same cross member fog lights etc. You say they should be flat the fact is mine are not. That should interest you because you are a Shelby researcher and a good one I must say. Things change in 50 years but my cross member has not.  Thanks James
Curious that in your initial post that you ask a question about the dome or flat in a manner that suggest you don't know the answer. When you get a informed answer from a knowledgeable Shelby researcher you seem to disagree? I suppose I could be misinterpreting your response. Pete's answer on this particular subject is shared by many here including myself. Of course Pete's answer does not preclude a possible factory anomaly but does address what is typically and normal for how the part was engineered.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 12:36:59 PM »
I appreciate your comments.

Well, one odd example does not interest me. When I start to see a pattern, then I have an interest.

I can come up with several reasons why it maybe “domed”, but I am pretty confident it is not factory. That modification would actually interfere with the lower valence. On the outside chance it is factory, I dont believe it was intended to be that way.

Perhaps the fog light nuts were overtightened at some point? I would give it a little more weight if you are the original owner and the car has never been apart, but again, I dont see any reason the distortion would have a benefit....

Is the picture posted above a second example? If so, the distortion may have been caused by stamping the hole? If it were mine, I would probably get a big hammer and fix it.

;D
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 12:47:22 PM by Coralsnake »

pied viper 041

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 03:28:50 PM »
Pete thanks for the response , there was more than one odd example there is 2 holes 2 odd examples. Pete I think it was factory punched. I think they may have punched it on the wrong side that would make since. You could not get enough force to bend that metal the fog lights would collapse first.The cross members took a little time to construct. If they punched them wrong I think they would have used them any way, just my thoughts after reading your post. What is the difference in stamping or punching ? If you look hard at the cross member there is a 1/4" hole stamped in it right over the oil cooler to hold the fiber glass down just saying they were stamping. This is a second example I sent some pictures to you years ago 1 was of my oil cooler and lines. Pete would you really take a hammer to it if you  were me I do not think so.    Mr. Gaines no disrespect I only know my car I thought you could think out loud on the forum.        Thanks James