News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

cross member @ fog lights with dome or flat?

Started by pied viper 041, June 16, 2018, 08:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: pied viper 041 on June 20, 2018, 03:28:50 PM
Pete thanks for the response , there was more than one odd example there is 2 holes 2 odd examples. Pete I think it was factory punched. I think they may have punched it on the wrong side that would make since. You could not get enough force to bend that metal the fog lights would collapse first.The cross members took a little time to construct. If they punched them wrong I think they would have used them any way, just my thoughts after reading your post. What is the difference in stamping or punching ? If you look hard at the cross member there is a 1/4" hole stamped in it right over the oil cooler to hold the fiber glass down just saying they were stamping. This is a second example I sent some pictures to you years ago 1 was of my oil cooler and lines. Pete would you really take a hammer to it if you  were me I do not think so.    Mr. Gaines no disrespect I only know my car I thought you could think out loud on the forum.        Thanks James                                                                                                                                     
James ,no harm. I'm glad you cleared that up.  The written word is easy to misinterpret so thinking out loud in the written word without indicating as such can change the meaning of a message in a unintended way.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

I think I would flatten it out. Once the fiberglass goes on top, it needs to lay flat or you run the risk of cracking the fiberglass when the fog light is installed.

Just my opinion

OldMil

Pied Viper, did you disassemble the front of the car or did you buy it that way?  How did the original fiberglass panel fit in relation to the other pieces?  Is (was) the original panel damaged in any way, cracked?  Was it modified to fit the humps? 
Jack

pied viper 041

I purchased my car in July 1969 with 1900 miles on it. I put it away in July1988 to do some work on it. I did not do any work on front of car except dismantle blast and paint. The humps did not make any difference the fiber glass I would believe is original as the cross member and they fit perfect together. And the fog lights are original they fit nice and tight.     Thanks James