News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

HOLLEY CARB FOR 289 COBRA

Started by Chad, June 17, 2018, 06:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad

What is the correct Holley carb for a 289 cobra that came with the optional aluminum high rise intake?

Dan Case

Based on the Registry only three new Cobras were factory fitted (Shelby's works in California) with high rise aluminum intakes and Holley® carburetors.

From my Cobra engine notes:

CSX2497, CSX2553, and CSX2555 all got 1965 MUSTANG GT350 high rise intakes and carburetors AFTER 1965 MUSTANG GT350 production started. (I had the carburetor from CSX2555 for years, it is now on 1965 MUSTANG GT350 SFM5026.)

CSX2497 was sold as a Stage I competition car with what was described as a racing engine, leaving only CSX2553 and CSX2555 as street cars so fitted.

Between Registry information and what I have learned about these cars, the exact version of carburetor  could have had whatever version of R-3259 there was available at the time they were finished as running cars.

CSX2553 was invoiced on 01-21-1965
CSX2555 was invoiced on 04-21-1965 (The original carburetor was from the 4B5 production run under the first engineering design level.)
CSX2497 had a work order dated 07-28-1965 to install the race engine and other goodies.

From circa September 1964 when we believe the few prototype R-3259s were made for Shelby American and late July 1965 there were:
R-3259 (Prototypes made by the Holley Custom Shop from already existing R-2668 carburetors in 1964.)
R-3259A (As far as I can find and or believe only the two production runs in December 1964 were made under this revision level. We got copies of what few engineering files Holley still had.)
R-3259AAS (Most of the "3259s" made. A few parts changed between the December 1964 run assemblies and all others I have examined. There were several production runs in 1965 for these.)

Note: There were also "1966" and later versions made under the R-3259-1A and R-3259-1AAS revision levels.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Chad

Hey Dan,

Thanks for the info.  So the dealer invoice for my car #2460 list a High-riser manifold.  So would that have been dealer installed?  If so what carb would they have put on it?

Thanks Chad

Dan Case

Quote from: Chad on June 17, 2018, 07:19:30 PM
Hey Dan,

Thanks for the info.  So the dealer invoice for my car #2460 list a High-riser manifold.  So would that have been dealer installed?  If so what carb would they have put on it?

Thanks Chad

The Registry indicates the first buyer of your car made the deal July 1, 1965. Any version of "small letter" intake manifold (There were several different castings made by at least two different foundaries.) made available up to that point in time. Any version any date of R-3259 1965 MUSTANG GT350 carburetor made available up to that time. Shelby American did not practice first in first out inventory control as evidenced by a 1966 MUSTANG GT350 getting sold with a prototype R-3259 from 1964.

Assuming the dealer ordered a induction kit for a Cobra there should have also been ancillary parts besides just the manifold and carburetor.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Chad

Hey Dan,  Thanks again for the info.  Ok carb info makes since.  So do you think the manifold and carb were installed at the dealer of at Shelby? 
Thanks

Dan Case

Quote from: Chad on June 17, 2018, 07:36:29 PM
Hey Dan,  Thanks again for the info.  Ok carb info makes since.  So do you think the manifold and carb were installed at the dealer of at Shelby? 
Thanks

You are welcome.

All I have to go on is the Registry which does not include those parts in the itemized accessories from the Shelby works. The Cobra Registrar might have more information than is published.  I would be interested in knowing if there is new or additional information.

The last 1965 Shelby service parts and accessories catalog dated May 31, 1965 lists not only individual parts but induction system "kits". One kit was specifically under a Cobra accessory catalog number that included a manifold, "715" carburetor, a special throttle linkage bracket for Cobras, and a base gasket to go between carburetor and intake manifold.

In your case any street car version (there was also a racing version) of small letter intake available through June 1965, ditto any version any date of R-3259 carburetor up to that time.  The base gasket was a 1965 GT350 part. The bracket was under a Cobra part number. The Cobra 4V induction kit does not list, in the May 1965 catalog, installation gaskets, seals, emission fitting, or nuts [carburetor base nuts] listed with the street Mustang "4V High Riser" kit.

Just for fun. The original owner of a 1964 Cobra ordered a "high rise" intake for his car at some point after delivery.  He never got around to installing it. Fast forward a few decades when he sold the car and the new owner didn't want the intake. I bought it. It has never been installed. The strange thing is that it was a very early intake design not intended to be used with a car with a PCV system or ported cylinder heads. It is very thin walled and light weight. I have only seen four of this particular version of intake and owned two of them. All three of the used intakes I examined in my hands had been broken in one or more places and repaired. They are fragile apparently.  This goes to my point that anything was possible when ordered from the parts department at Shelby American.

If you are a first time user of a high rise type intake and 1965 GT350 carburetor in an original Cobra you might be interested in tuning tips. If interested send me an message to the e-mail address under my profile.
Dan Case