Author Topic: Autolite Starter relays  (Read 2123 times)

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
Autolite Starter relays
« on: November 07, 2019, 10:55:28 AM »
Ive got two nos  Autolite starter relays and they are very different.  the shinier plated one  the logo and part numbers are very slight compared to the other and match a very tired original owner car I have here with a 7D  date on it.   Also the copper studs have a taper on the end  and are shorter compared to the other - both are coarse thread !   shiny one has a 6GA  stamped in the base   duller version has 8AE.  Both have remnants of the Glyptol on the top.  Riveting appears to be identical on both.  The longer studs have me confused. AQnyone else ever make this comparison?
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

acman63

• View Profile
Re: Autolite Starter relays
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 10:56:23 AM »
2 more pics
SAAC Concours Chairman

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 11:32:08 AM »
Hi Jim,

My impression is the Autolite verson are service parts or maybe 67.  For the 65-66, IIRC, have a stamp markings FoMoCo, RBM and 2701966.

Cory

acman63

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 11:35:59 AM »
Fomoco logos on 65/66s for sure and probably some early 67s   after tha autolite until 1972 or therabouts
SAAC Concours Chairman

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 01:05:47 PM »
Ive got two nos  Autolite starter relays and they are very different.  the shinier plated one  the logo and part numbers are very slight compared to the other and match a very tired original owner car I have here with a 7D  date on it.   Also the copper studs have a taper on the end  and are shorter compared to the other - both are coarse thread !   shiny one has a 6GA  stamped in the base   duller version has 8AE.  Both have remnants of the Glyptol on the top.  Riveting appears to be identical on both.  The longer studs have me confused. AQnyone else ever make this comparison?
Yes,more then one supplier.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 01:38:39 PM »
I thought the later bigger autolite replaced the early smaller autolite.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 04:30:17 PM »
....................For the 65-66, IIRC, have a stamp markings FoMoCo, RBM and 2701966.

For San Jose built cars you'll find Autolite C6 units being used in the late months of 66 production. Of course this would relate to mostly Mustang production since it would be approx mid July and after

Yes,more then one supplier.

+1 Especially for service replacement parts but of course both of the ones Jim posted above are from the same supplier so the difference is when they were made and any processes or different stamping tools they used. Possibly different plants though the same supplying companies all go together to produce the differences

Thread count and length is tied to when they were made and has been noted in prior discussions
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 04:44:53 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 04:57:14 PM »
You also may have the same part made at different mfg facilities. Just like West Modine and Modine.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 05:03:30 PM »
You also may have the same part made at different mfg facilities. Just like West Modine and Modine.

Yes that was what I was tying to describe in the later part of my post above. As far as the finish I think we've all seen a wide variety of how zinc plating can turn out based on the conditions, smoothness of the metal and so on over the years. Just surprised the one stayed that way. Must have been stored very nicely/carefully and haven't seen that condition before
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge