News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Matt Damon to play Carroll Shelby in up-coming movie

Started by NC TRACKRAT, June 20, 2018, 08:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFM6S087

Short write up in "Variety" yesterday.

'Ford v. Ferrari' Looks Like Awards Contender Based on CinemaCon Preview

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/ford-v-ferrari-awards-oscars-cinemacon-preview-1203180272/

Quote from: SFM6S087 on April 04, 2019, 12:54:53 PM

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/ford-v-ferrari-awards-oscars-cinemacon-preview-1203180272/

Ugh, That means it will be one character lecturing another about their feelings.   :P

shelbydoug

Quote from: 2112 on April 04, 2019, 01:13:24 PM
Quote from: SFM6S087 on April 04, 2019, 12:54:53 PM

Ugh, That means it will be one character lecturing another about their feelings.   :P

The only thing you will get about feelings in Miles character will be him giving the Corvette guys the finger.

There was a story that in '64 either at the regional finals or the nationals (hard to remember that long ago) that when one of the Corvette finalists pulled up and saw Miles and the Cobra there, he started crying, never took the car off of the trailer and turned and went home.

I'm sure Miles was sensative to his feelings and said something like, "ah, poor baby, Mommy tell you to bring your plastic toilet seat home?" The "Hawk" was very sensitive that way.  ;)

As far as referring to Shelby as an "engineer", that may be in fact the first time I ever heard that?

Now in the field of astro-physics there is a term used now. Architect. What these guys do is sit around and philosophize about the nature of the Universe.

I'd call Shelby more of an Architect. Others accurately refer to him as a visionary.

What I like is this talk of it being good enough to already in just one preview, be an Oscar contender. That right there means tons more people will see it and stir up MORE interest in these cars. That I like, and if you had any sense, you would too?  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

JD

the write-up states "Shelby the engineer"  - loose use of the word.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

68countrysedan

Engineer? News to me.

How about marketer? He sold his concept to Ford and he assembled a team that delivered results.

Or how about Ferrari's self-description, "an agitator of men?"

csxsfm

I fear it will again prove that Hollywood doesn't know the subject matter and we'll get another piece of dramatized fiction.  If they can't figure out that Shelby was the ultimate salesman, not an engineer, they're in trouble.  McQueen was a true racer and he did the best job with his "Le Mans."   

Pcunder

Mr Shelby was a team owner, a constructor, a driver and a visionary...in no particular order.
He knew cars, people & winning and that's all he needed. Yes, he could sell Henry Ford on a big idea just as easily as a secretary to see his drawings...,upstairs.

Most pathetic actors don't deserve my breath wasted on them so the leftists will not see any of my $. Is that too political? I like buying the 'other' ticket idea.
Entertainers in Shakespeare's day were one of the lower forms of humanity...and now they're worshiped as idols by their 'followers'. 2 problems; idols, followers.
Yes, that's what the world needs, more followers.

I say Carroll Shelby was a leader.

If the movie is not another tribute to ole Shel himself, Ken Miles certainly should be revealed as the greatest driver never properly recognized.(and with feelings)
We can probably thank the 1-2-3 order from Ford Marketing for that.

In hindsight, it was a travesty that I'm sure Ford still doesn't understand or care about. Ford is a lifeless entity but Henry Ford II may have understood afterward.
But in real time, only the most knowledgeable LeMans maven would've understood the track ramifications.

So the only real question is, did Ford do it KNOWING the leader would NOT get the win as a result of the photo-Op.

OK, had my rant(s)..

1967 eight barrel

I am sure AOC will have input and it will be about Shelby causing so-called Global Warming and Toxic Masculinity. Oh, wait! I'm a pilot. I fit that label as well  ;D ;D ;D

-Keith

6R07mi

"There was a story that in '64 either at the regional finals or the nationals (hard to remember that long ago) that when one of the Corvette finalists pulled up and saw Miles and the Cobra there, he started crying, never took the car off of the trailer and turned and went home.

I'm sure Miles was sensative to his feelings and said something like, "ah, poor baby, Mommy tell you to bring your plastic toilet seat home?" The "Hawk" was very sensitive that way.  ;)"

I still love the story from I believe Sebring 1966, when Miles & Gurney were dicing it up later in the contest and the pit board each lap was "E Z", old Shelby went to the pit wall and as Ken came flying by gave his boss the one finger salute !  Next lap Shelby brandished the knock-off hammer !

Certainly a different era than today, I suspect a lot more mischief !

regards,
jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

67 GT350

Oh God! AOC, she is proof that America forgot! Or the American voter is stupid.
RARE  Signature Delete

68countrysedan

Question for the Does Anyone Know Department:

Did Matt Damon or Christian Bale enroll in any high performance driving school for their roles? And I don't necessarily mean being able to drive for track shots but at least having a sense of a race car and track environment. Or are they just two actors who look cool standing next to race cars and drivers?

PS
QuoteI still love the story from I believe Sebring 1966, when Miles & Gurney were dicing it up later in the contest and the pit board each lap was "E Z", old Shelby went to the pit wall and as Ken came flying by gave his boss the one finger salute !  Next lap Shelby brandished the knock-off hammer !

Interesting story. I now wonder why Miles didn't say Fark it and cross the finish line first. What was Ford going to do, fire him? (insert LMAO). Would CS have been sad and never spoken to Miles again? I would like to think HFII would have appreciated his moxie. Or not.

Besides, I presume Miles could have written his own contract with any number of teams.

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

68countrysedan

Another unknown (at least to me) factoid.

In that case, I would presume that Miles would have had the resources to engage a immigration attorney and apply for citizenship.   

shelbydoug

It was LA. Everyone was seemingly an illegal there in the '60s? At least not from LA itself. Shelby, Hefner, Miles. There isn't enough room for the entire list.

"The Continental US is pitched 12-1/2 degrees to the south-south west and every thing loose or not bolted down winds up in Southern California" - Frank Loyd Wright (or something like that)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!